Error loading explorer.exe

Mavisk 17:19 08 Nov 04

When I start my win 98 se PC I get the message
"error loading explorer.exe reinstall windows"
"a required dll filec:\windows\system\shlwapi.dll
was not found"
I am unable to start in safe mode I get the same message,I tried starting with a command prompt and
doing scanreg but it tells me that my registry is free from errors and when I try to view the registry backups there arn't any.
Is there any way of getting this dll file off a floppy or the win 98 se disc onto my PC by using a command prompt,if so what exactly would I type,or am
I done for.
I have stuff on the PC I don't want to lose,I have access to another PC.
Thanks in advance.

rawprawn 17:30 08 Nov 04

I'm not sure about win 98, but if you can get to the command prompt and type sfc /scannow with your 98 disc in the drive that might do it.

VoG II 17:32 08 Nov 04

in Windows 98.

rawprawn 17:52 08 Nov 04

Thanks VoG™

Mavisk 18:01 08 Nov 04

Hi,thanks for your replies when Istart with a command prompt and type in SFC I get the message bad command or file name
I have also tried booting from the win 98 startup disc and extracting the dll file from the cabs folder but it came back with the message "cannot open file c:\windows\options\cabs\(null).

Dorsai 18:12 08 Nov 04

Dont know where sfc.exe would be on a 98 pc, but in xp it is in c:\windows\system32

so try

woodchip 18:18 08 Nov 04

I would recommend you do try these first, Go to Control Panel double click Microsoft Internet Explorer and choose Repair. Then try a Reboot to see if you still have the Problem. If you Do! put your Win98se CD in comp and stop it loading by pressing the off button top right corner of Auto Run box.
Then go to Run and typ SFC and press enter check for corrupt files.

spargo 18:21 08 Nov 04

On Win98

Dorsai 18:28 08 Nov 04

Sorry, but as i read it, the problem is that Mavisk cant get the pc up and running in anything but the command prompt. I am assuming he means Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer.

But in any case, spargo has given the command

so we wait to see if it works.

spargo 18:30 08 Nov 04

Should be

Mavisk 18:32 08 Nov 04

Tried c:\windows\system\sfc and got the message
"this program cannot be run in DOS mode"
The PC won't load windows it stops just before the
desktop is due to appear with the "unable to load explorer.exe" message, so I am unable to repair IE or use the run box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…