error loading explorer.exe

rayj 10:05 26 Jan 04

I recently uninstalled easy cd creator 5 platinum as it wasn't responding properly. However, since i have uninstalled this program i am unable to restart my computer as i receive an error message.

error message: required DLL.file,shlw p1DLL was not found
error loading explorer you must reload windows.

I have tried reloading windows several times but to no avail..Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
thanks ray

Diodorus Siculus 10:22 26 Jan 04

Can you start in safe mode? (Press F8 at startup till you get a menu.)

Do you mean that you have tried to reinstall windows using the the CD?

Gongoozler 10:47 26 Jan 04

Hi rayj. You don't say what version of Windows you have, but I think the missing file is shlwapi.dll. In Windows 98 this should be in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder. You can get the file from here click here. There is a long discussion about this file at this site click here, where it appears that replacing the file can be troublesome, so I hope yours is easier.

Diodorus Siculus 11:43 26 Jan 04

(Please post here - private communication in this will not help future queries).

------------------------------------------------------------

yes i have used floppy disc then cd to reload but no joy. I tried to get safe mode but that doesn't seem to be happening either.It is driving me nuts, not sure how i have lost explorer etc

Details

sorry i meant to say when opening in safe mode that error message comes straight up so i can't going system and try and fixI am using windows 98 semany thanks ray

Details

Chegs ® 12:20 26 Jan 04

I got this yesterday when trying to load an old image of 98se,I didn't get the shlwapi.dll missing message tho',just a white box with EXPLORER.EXE missing,reinstall windows.It would boot in safemode tho.

phil.s 08:16 15 Feb 05

Chegs, I have got this problem now.
How did you replace explorer.exe?

Phil

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…