Error at internet connection

BeeWee 09:51 03 Feb 03

all has been well until 2 days ago. tried to connect to internet and received message:
it is meaningless to me and am at a loss as to know what to do! i can connect to icq, email, audiognome etc. but not the net! i am on a broadband connection with ntl. i would be really grateful for any advice or assistance with this annoying problem

Lozzy 10:06 03 Feb 03

If your getting your email then your connected to the net.. However are you saying you cannot surf?? Check the NTL Help desk for Braodband issues in your area. Have you unstalled an Firewall??

Lozzy 10:16 03 Feb 03

Another reason could be that the file has been corrupted. Try re setting the system restore to a date prior to issue starting or delete the file and replace it by carrying out the repair function by booting your system with the XP cd in your rom and following the on screen instructions for Repair..

BeeWee 10:53 03 Feb 03

yes...sorry for the confusion...i can't surf. have tried to get hold of ntl...was held in a queue for over an hour!
lozzy...i'm not particularly computer literate..i am running windows 98 second edition, i have no firewall installed but a good anti virus could you please go through the file corrupt process again please giving specific instruction? thank you for your help

Lozzy 11:15 03 Feb 03

System File Checker (SFC) verifies the integrity of system files. After scanning for altered files, it offers to restore damaged files. If a file is found to be damaged, SFC prompts you to restore the original file. SFC can also be configured to notify you of changed and deleted files.

You can use SFC to:

Scan system files for damaged, missing, or changed files.
Extract original Windows 98 system files.
Track changes to the system and identify altered files.

Click on start run type SFC then hit enter.. have your windows 98 CD to hand..

BeeWee 12:45 03 Feb 03

Lozzy - i really appreciate your help...will have to try your suggestions when i get home from work. will let you know how i get along!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…