Error in Event Viewer XP

Holographic_man 09:57 12 Mar 03

In the above a message says that in souce, ACPI error and when this happens my PC freezes.

Am I right that the bios ether needs flashing or upgrade the chip? I have found a company that will send me a updated chip for £39 would this be the safest way out cos I here so many storys about flashing.

My bios id is 12/15/200-8363-686A-6A6LMA19C on a Abit KT7-RAID Mobo Any help. Thanks

AndySD 10:52 12 Mar 03

click here for the BIOS updates but I cant see any reference to the Advanced Power Management.

Holographic_man 13:17 12 Mar 03

Thanks AndySD I see what you mean, not certain what to do.

AndySD 15:38 12 Mar 03

Check your system BIOS to see if APM is properly enabled and configured:

Enter your computer's BIOS setup (press DEL or ESC or something like that just after turning on your system, and your computer is counting through your memory).

Turn the main APM option to Enable or On.
Important: Set all the lesser APM-related options (such as hard disk timouts and the monitoring of ports) to disable or off. This ensures that Windows is in control of all the APM options, and your BIOS settings don't interfere or conflict with your Windows APM preferences.

Then, set your power-saving preferences in Windows:

Double-click the Power Management icon in Control Panel. If it isn't there, your computer isn't properly set up - see above.
Choose the options that best suit your needs, and click Ok when you're done.

If this doesnt work then try flashing the BIOS (if you need help with this post back)

Holographic_man 16:22 12 Mar 03

I have done as you said AndySd I take you mean Power management in the Bios? and I have disabled PM as well in Conrol Panel to be on the safe side.

I am going to need help if I am going to Flash the bios, so you dont think it is worth going down the road in replacing the bios chip then?
Thanks

AndySD 17:14 12 Mar 03

To flash the Bios you will need to put a floppy in the drive and then go to My Computer and Right Click on the A Drive...choose FORMAT and tick Quick format and Dos Disk....click ok

You will need to download the latest BIOS and then double click on the download....this will give you 5 new files put all these on the floppy disk as well.

Now reboot the PC with the floppy and at the A Prompt

A:\>

type in

awdflash Kt7_a9.bin /py /sn /cd /cp /cc /cks /R

and hit Enter.

The instructions are in the Motherboard manual on page F-1 or in the pdf page 120 click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…