Error emails by the 2 hundred ?

Derek 16:02 17 Feb 04

I have a friends Pavilion 8750 on the desk which is causing us unknown problems with regard to his Outlook Express. I open Send and Receive and have the same email messages, 201 of them every time.
(BTopenworld) Not on broadband.

I took the machine on because I was fairly confident that this was a virus problem.

I loaded Norton Security with all definitions updated. Did all the virus checks.I installed IE6. I downloaded 44 critical Windows updates and a further 5 for ME. I've defragged and disc check.

I've done complete checks using Norton System Tools in all areas. No viruses are present and I have no other operating problems whatsoever. Registry is sound.In other words this Email Error Download loading appears to be in isolation.Using internet Explorer is no problem.

I have made certain that all the 'ERROR' notice addresses have been put in the Blacklist file but these addresses still keep appearing.

These messages are all about the same thing telling me that we have not been able to deliver etc. The address themselves come in a variety of styles such as MAILER DAE-MIAN.COM with even more extentions such as .btint .clicknames .spray

And all this keeps extending to 201 addresses, some of them being repeats.

If I tell you that this machine delivers sometimes less than one email a week and usually receives about two, then you'll see my confusion.
Since this Pavilion is dial-up, so far my download time amount to some eight hours.

I wouldn't mind this but to finish up having got nowhere....Oh dear !! Please plaese help if you can.

johnnyrocker 16:07 17 Feb 04

have you d/loaded all the mails? or maybe pc times out inwhichcase they will stay on the server and as you say d/load again, go to click here and edit the box til empty, if prob re occurs ring your isp.

johnny.

Taff36 16:13 17 Feb 04

Alternatively If the messages are all the same have you asked OE to leave a copy on the server?

TOOLS>ACCOUNTS highlight the relevant provider then Properties and the advanced tab and uncheck the delivery option. (Sorry if this is too obvious and you`ve already checked it out.

keith-236785 16:34 17 Feb 04

the MYDOOM virus which was responsible for mass e-mailing should now have run its course, apparently it was valid between the 2nd and 12th of feb, it is possible that once you have recieved and deleted all the e-mails that the problem will go away, i was recieving between 30 and 40 e-mail each day with the virus attached.... so if your friend had not checked their mail for a while it is quite possible that it is just a build up of this.

install AVG virus checker (i know this picks up the virus), then carefully download them all.

hopefully that will be the end of that.

good luck

keith-236785 16:36 17 Feb 04

oops,

meant to say download and DELETE them all.

Derek 08:56 18 Feb 04

With your combined help...we've cracked it.
Again, many thanks. DM

keith-236785 13:25 18 Feb 04

For others benefit, please can you say what the problem actually was.

p.s thanks not needed, but nice anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…