Error During Install

joolzski 19:51 16 Dec 09

Hi, after ages trying to find a solution to my problematic pc, i decided enough is enough and went to reinstall windows.

After the hard disk format ntfs (Slow option)it seemed like it was normaly going through its paces and everthing looks good. Then........
it came up with an error and was asking me for some asms files and to locate them by browsing (i guess from a floppy drive) or reinsert xp home edition service pack 2 disc, i done the latter but to no avail. If i can download and locate the asms files or the gdiplus files on a different laptop, how do i get the files onto my pc without having a floppy drive or anywhere else to browse from/to.

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:03 16 Dec 09

Sounds like it is struggling to read the XP CD, the files are on there.

However if your machine can use USB (legacy for DOS) from the BIOS, then copy the files to a pen drive and transfer across.

GaT7 20:03 16 Dec 09

See click here (applies to XP Home as well) & click here. G

joolzski 18:19 17 Dec 09

cool cheers for your replies. I will check them out and post back my progress.

Thanks

joolzski 08:39 18 Dec 09

Hi, i forgot to ask how to transfer the files across using usb. I know how to get into the BIOS.

GaT7 13:19 18 Dec 09

You'll need a USB flash drive & you can copy & paste the files, just like you would using a floppy.

However, I doubt it will work & you'll be better off trying Microsoft solution for this: click here & look under 'Hard disk formatted with NTFS file system'. G

GaT7 13:23 18 Dec 09

"You'll need a USB flash drive & you can copy & paste the files, just like you would using a floppy." - on second thoughts that may not be possible, & you'll have to browse for or type the path instead. G

GaT7 14:00 18 Dec 09

Actually, both of what I said is correct...

You'll have to copy & paste at first on the laptop, then plug the flash drive in to the problematic PC & when prompted, browse for or type the path to the missing files. G

joolzski 15:37 18 Dec 09

hi i tried the microsoft solution but pressing shift & F10 doesnt do anything.

I will try copy and paste to my usb flash.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple