error deleting file

bigray 09:27 25 Apr 03

The files in one of my folders have got corrupted & I cannot delete them from the recycle bin, it states (Cannot delete files a'a'LLC, the filename is invalid or to long.
can anyone help to solve my problem?

recap 09:39 25 Apr 03

Try this bigray, create a folder on your HD (give it a name say rubbish), move the file into this folder then delete the folder. Hopefully when you go to delete it from the recycle bin the whole folder and it's contents will be deleted.

MAJ 09:45 25 Apr 03

Or/and try to delete it from safe mode, bigray.

bigray 09:58 25 Apr 03

wont work from a new folder & wont work in safe mode, get same message, but thanks for your help,

MAJ 10:06 25 Apr 03

Have you tried renaming the files, bigray? And what is "a'a'LLC"?

bigray 10:10 25 Apr 03

wont let me rename file, the jumble of letters are what the files are now called since they got corrupted, thanks again

The PC Doctor 10:13 25 Apr 03

You will find that the only way to delete this file is by using DOS.

Do you know anything about DOS and using DOS commands?

MAJ 10:18 25 Apr 03

It seems The PC Doctor is correct, bigray, deleting from DOS seems to be your only option.

bigray 10:20 25 Apr 03

can you tell me how please

The PC Doctor 10:30 25 Apr 03

1st be very carefull when you use a DOS command it thinks you know what you are doing and will just 'do it' you won't get any "are you sure" options......

goto Start > Run and type in "command.com" this will bring up a DOS window..

Inside the DOS window you will see a C:> prompt. Type in the Drive letter where the file is stored for example if it's in your D Drive recyce bin then type in D: if it's in your C Drive type in C:
and press Return/Enter

You will now be looking at X:> where X is your drive letter.

Now type in CD RECYCLED and press Return/Enter.

You should see C:\RECYCLED>

You now type in DIR and press Return/Enter and get a list of files in your recyce bin - the file name may look different this is ok you are looking at the DOS name of the file.

now you need to re-name the file, type in at the > prompt RENAME XXXXX.XXX TMP.TXT where XXXXX.XXX is your filename (TMP.TXT makes it easier to delete.

Once this has worked just type in DEL TMP.TXT and the file will be gone for ever!

If this doesn't work then you will have to re-boot your PC using a DOS BOOT floppy - don't panick I have one you can use !

Let me know how you get on or if any of these instructions are not clear.

bigray 10:36 25 Apr 03

what I get in the dos window is
C:\windows\desktop>
and it wont change, when I try it says bad command or file name

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…