Error code:0x80070002 When Installing Windows ?

snoko 15:34 01 Dec 10

Hi,

I have bit of a problem , I have the following pc which I bought 3
yrs ago , so I suppose relatively old Compaq Presario SR2125UK
Desktop PC

Its running 2gb of mem , 140 GB , duo core intel proscessor ( I cant remember the exact speed - i suffer dyscalculia but I bought this when duo core pretty much just came out ( I can try to find out and amend later if I can get back in safe mode again ) in march 07 here in the uk from pcworld with Windows preinstalled.

To recall how this happened is TBH akward as this has been recurring issue for some time that I managed to sort of deal with, with antivirus software , but never truly sorted until it started getting out of hand ( fan whirling all the time ) about 3 wks ago.

At the time I thought it was just a bad virus that had somehow got in there ,so I tired various antivirus software like kapersky , spybot which helped up to point ( at least speed it up / stop the fan buzzing ) but for some reason it never truly fixed the issue either.

This actually started to happen ,or get considerably worse ) if I recall every time I attempted a Microsoft
update so as result I ended up ingoring them altogher as I kept having to a system restore ( these updates just slowed
down my pc sometimes worse than a virus itself )

Last night then I attempted to sort this ,using software I bought called Paragon disc manager . My idea was to just formart it ( thinking it would delete / replace anything else in there causing problems) and
then using restore disc, but unfortunatley this has not worked out as planned.

When I ran the program it told me to run disc chceck - so I did and it found 0 problems to fix , although Paragon still siad otherwise even after the check .

Regardless I decided to go ahead and install any way as I couldnt think what else to do , and assumed the format of hard drive would be an easy fix , after typing in the product key however I found windows wouldnt install ,
and instead I got told the folllowing below..

Windows cannot open required file:J:\Sources\Install.wim.

The file does not exist. Makes sure all files required for
installation are available , and restart Error code:0x80070002

I tired recbootfix from the command prompt - nothing

I managed to get into safemode and doing another disc check but nothing too ( although the drive does appear formmated ie. it says 0 )

downloaded the original 4 drivers from compaq site thinking It might help but as I have to install them before It can find them - no use ie.as it doesnt recognise them at all .

So now Im left wondering what my options are as I cant really think of what else to do , does any one have any other suggestions , or am I as well just scraping the hard drive ?

A friend gave me their windows installation disc to even try ( as they have the same operating system ) but I also have this other issue now where my windows wont boot up unless I use the restore disc in my external drive ( the restore disc isnt recognised in the pcs own dvd writer you see ) so the windows installation disc doesnt seem to do anything either.

lori

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:58 01 Dec 10

Where did you store the recovery file?
Was it on the same drive as your op system?
Was it on the same drive different partition?

snoko 19:56 01 Dec 10

I think its partially wiped .

I didnt store the recovery file anywhere , when i boot up with recovery disk i get BOOTMGR MISSING so im assuming that means recovery file is wiped, but then why isnt the installation disc working ?

because i get the same message with that too ??

:(

ashdav 00:54 02 Dec 10

It sounds like the hardrive is faulty.
If you can identify the make of the hardrive go to the manufacturers website and download the disk tool program (they all have them) and put it on a CD.
Boot from that and you can check the health of the hardrive.

snoko 18:25 02 Dec 10

Could i find that in the Bios ?

( Sorry its been ages since I tried to fix a pc ) this has been the worst case so far , in that past I just formatted or reinstalled windows and that was it .

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:51 02 Dec 10

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced