Error Code 80072ee7

Charlie 3746 20:57 30 Apr 09

Hi

My computer sometimes fails to connect to the internet and error code 80072ee7 comes up. When I run the troubleshoot facility it states - Host File contains Windows Live Messenger related entries which may interfere with name resolution - DNS unable to resolve IP addresses - Improper proxy or firewall settings.
This is a long running problem that first occurred after a Netgear Wireless Modem was installed to allow my wife to access her work computer from home. I would be most grateful for any advice.
Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:11 30 Apr 09

1. do you want live messenger? if not uninstall from add remove programs in control panel (maybe listed under live essentials)

2. delete the host file windows will make another anyway (without messenger entries if uninstalled.

3. Clear your IE cache and cookies -- open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then
Internet Options, then click the Delete Files button, and when that's complete click the
Delete Cookies button.

4. Check your IE Security settings -- open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then
Internet Options, then Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section, and verify that "Check
for server certificate revocation" is unchecked. Also verify that 'Use SSL 2.0' and Use SSL
3.0' is checked, then click OK.

5. Click Start, then Run, and enter the following:
regsvr32 softpub.dll then click OK
and do the same for the following:
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:13 30 Apr 09

you can use the command ipconfig /flushdns to flush the DNS resolver cache:

Start - run - type
C:\>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

You can also use the command ipconfig /displaydns to view the DNS resolver cache.

Charlie 3746 21:18 30 Apr 09

Thanks very much for the reply. Unfortunately I'm not very computer literate so your solutions are way above my abilities and understanding. Would you suggest I have it sorted professionally?

birdface 22:21 30 Apr 09

As you have this double posted maybe close the one on Absolute beginners it will only cause confusion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…