error code 80070643 (KB942763 ose.exe)

Phrixos 22:30 22 Dec 07

(MS Vista Ultimate and MS WORD 2007 on self-built Pentium Quad6600, ASUS P5E)

The latest Vista fix, error code 80070643, relating to the ose.exe file, flatly refuses to install.

I have followed all the Knowledge Base instructions vis-a-vis retting the Office Service Engine to Automatic--and my user account IS Administrator. Still, the system is REFUSING ME PERMISSION to replace the ose.exe file.

At first it was refusing me permission because it said the file was in use by another program--but I couldn't determine what program was supposedly using it, so I retarted the computer afresh and tried again.

It still refuses me, the sole user and Administrator, from replacing this file.

The Third and last resort, according to MS is to reinstall Office (Actually, I only have WORD, but still, that in itself is a hassle--what, with all its updates, and for which there is no guarantee that the problem will be fixed.

Anybody know how I can get round this obstacle?

(PS. Word of advice: if you've got Word 2003, Stick with it! 2007 is a waste of money and headache not worth having!)

Happy Holidays
Phrixos

MAJ 01:19 23 Dec 07

Have you tried turning off UAC? click here

Phrixos 17:30 24 Dec 07

No, but I'm not sure that is a good idea, anyway.

virginiatrader 01:02 03 Jan 08

To all:

I am currently running Windows Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 Professional, and am having the same problem completing the Office 2007 update.

Phrixos-

I did succeed in completing the replacement of the OSE file as a number of sources recommended. I encountered the same issue as you, that the OSE file cannot be replaced because it is in use by another program. I think this is only partly true. I also could not determine what program was using it, and finally figured out that it is the Office Source Engine ("OSE") service that may be using it. RUN "services.msc" or go to Services through the Control Panel and check the status of the service. By stopping the service, I succeeded in replacing the OSE file. This, however, only solved THAT problem.

I have followed all of the various forum suggestions:

1) Uninstall and reinstall Office 2007.
2) Leave Office CD in drive during update.
3) Ensure that Office Source Engine service is STARTED.
4) Ensure that Windows Installer service is STARTED.
5) Replace existing OSE file with Offcie 2007 CD OSE file.

With Windows Vista, the version of Windows Installer is different from XP and earlier OSes, and at this point is not in a redistributable package to download from M$; that fix has been suggested for earlier OSes.

I am currently at a loss, and many forums are are saying to just be patient until a real solution is available from M$. Perhaps Vista SP1 will solve it.

Many regards,

virginiatrader

Phrixos 13:00 03 Jan 08

Thanks, Virginiatrader, for the info. I am however a little confused by what you say. Perhaps you can clarify. Correct me if I have misunderstood. You are saying that:

1. replacing the ose.exe file is not the problem,so I shouldn't even bother trying.

2. All those other, even more laborious efforts, similarly have had no effect?

Tell me, btw--by any chance are you using COMODO Firewall? There seems to be a growing number of people out there saying Vista's inability to work with it (or vice versa) is the problem here.

ATB,
Phrixos

Deliman 18:08 16 Dec 08

Basically Just ...Reinstall Microsoft Office 2007 or 2003...
From MS Website>>>>>

To resolve this issue, use the following methods in the order that they are presented.
Back to the top
Method 1: Determine the status of the Office Source Engine service
To determine the status of the Office Source Engine service, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
In the list of services, double-click Office Source Engine.
View the Startup type list.
If the startup type is set to Disabled, change the startup type to Manual. To do this, click Manual in the Startup type list, and then click OK.
Try to install the Office update again.
Back to the top
Method 2: Repair the Ose.exe file
To repair the Ose.exe file, copy the Ose.exe file from the Office 2003 CD. To do this, follow these steps:
Determine where the Ose.exe file is located. By default, the Ose.exe file is in the following location:
path:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Source Engine\
Insert the Office 2003 CD in the CD drive.
Right-click Start, and then click Explore.
Use Microsoft Windows Explorer to locate the following folder on the Office 2003 CD:
path:\Files\Setup
Right-click the Ose.exe file, and then click Copy.
Locate and then click to select the folder in which the Ose.exe file is located on the computer. For example, locate and then click to select the following folder:
path:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Source Engine
Right-click the Source Engine folder, and then click Paste.
If you are prompted to replace an existing file, click Yes.
Back to the top
Method 3: Remove and then reinstall Office 2003
To remove and then reinstall Office 2003, follow these steps.

Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
Insert the Office 2003 CD in the CD drive.
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Add or Remove Programs.
In the Currently installed programs list, click the version of Office 2003 that is installed, and then click Remove.
Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove Office 2003.
After Office 2003 is removed from the computer, click Add New Programs.
Click CD or Floppy.
In the Install Program From Floppy Disk or CD-ROM dialog box, make sure that the Office 2003 CD is in the CD drive. Then, click Next.
Click Finish. Then, follow the prompts to complete the installation of Office 2003.
Click OK when Office 2003 Setup is finished.
Remove the Office 2003 CD from the CD drive.

Deliman 18:53 16 Dec 08

This seemed to work for Office 2007 as well....click here. Now you reinstalled office...now go to services agian ...make sure it is set to AUTOMATIC (DELAYED)...retasrt computer...run windows update...you may get an error asaying it wont update...try again....bam! UPDATES COMPLETE!...at least for me it was and I uninstalled Office 2003 & Office 2007, just to make sure...tah-tah for now...The Deliman

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5