Error code 259

ria 21:08 30 Apr 07

A few weeks ago I got my Computer back from a repair store where I had to have a new processor, motherboard and graphics card installed. As I am looking to buy a new computer in the autumn anyway I went for the cheaper option by going from a Pentium 4 to an AMD. I have had lots of problems with my computer and finally reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Win XP Home Edition. Everything installed ok apart from my Monitor and it seems my Video Card. I have a Samsung SyncMaster 170T LCD Monitor which is listed as “Default Monitor” under the Display Properties. When I try to install the drivers from the installation disk I get the error message: Samsung Monitor Setup: Error occur, while installing monitor adaptor. (Error Code 259)
After some investigation on the Samsung website I come across “A 259 error means that your video card is not installed properly and you need to reinstall or update the video card driver. Please visit the website of the manufacturer of your video card and download, and then install the updated driver. After you have installed the driver, the monitor driver will install properly”
How can I find out what video card I have got and who the manufacturer is? I have installed Everest Home Edition but still don’t know where to look.

skidzy 21:12 30 Apr 07

I have this monitor on one of my pc,s and no software is needed.XP will supply the drivers for the monitor as its plug and play.

beeuuem 21:20 30 Apr 07

Try downloading SIW from click here install it and and look in Video. It should tell you your card details.

woodchip 21:24 30 Apr 07

Also if a new MOBO as been installed you should have the CD with the Drivers on it for the MOBO these should be the first things to load after reinstalling the OS

ria 22:53 30 Apr 07

I never had a problem before when I reinstalled Win XP. The monitor was always recognized and installed correctly.
I installed SIW and under video there is no Device Name. There are 3 submenus:
1. Monitor has got no entries,
2. Modes has no manufacture or model name
3. DirectX just tells me what the card supports and what not.
Sorry, but what is MOBO?

woodchip 22:55 30 Apr 07

MOBO Motherboard

ria 23:09 30 Apr 07

Sorry, but I don’t quite follow. Do you mean after installing the OS I should have a CD with drivers for the MOBO or the video card on it and install these first? Also I did not get any CD’s from the shop.

woodchip 23:16 30 Apr 07

Yes to both if it is also onboard Graphics. As the CD as all the drivers for Hard Drive Controllers and PCI USB etc

woodchip 23:17 30 Apr 07

PS it will not contain any drivers for a Graphics card that you plug in. These are on the CD you get with the Card

ria 19:07 03 May 07

After searching I finally found the installation disk for my graphics card and thought this would be the end of my problems…. In the five years I have had my computer I never had to use it when reformatting the hard drive to install a fresh copy of XP. It seams that the graphic card installed is an nVidia Geforce 64MP AGP. Unfortunately installing the driver didn’t make any difference. Everything is still very jerky and the monitor driver won’t install. In device manager I have the following entrance with the yellow exclamation mark
Other devices:
System Interrupt Controller
Unknown device
Video Controller (VGA Compatible).
I guess I have to put up with this until I get a new computer. Anyway… it made up my mind to stay clear of AMD’s and buy another Intel chipset.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…