error code 23

heepster 14:30 04 Aug 08

i have a dell dimension 5100 running xp and i used selective startup to remove some real player files that i didnt need anymore. On returning to normal start up I find I have no internet access or device manager.Also it appears to have wiped out system resore. No dates to roll back to. The pc loads ok but i get a message saying" cannot initialse device error code 23". Any suggestions as to how to repair this problem would be much appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:43 04 Aug 08

The loaders for this device cannot load the required drivers. (Code 23)

To update the device drivers, click Update Driver.

Solution button: Update Driver

This code means that the device loader delayed the start of a device and then did not inform Windows when it was ready to start the device.

To resolve this error code, verify the settings for the device.

As you cannot restore I think you may have to do a XP repair.

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

heepster 16:08 05 Aug 08

Thanks for that, tried it and it did help but still its giving the error message.And unable to access the net.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:56 05 Aug 08

You now need to load the drivers for the network card (I assume its that that is showing the error).

What card does device manager show? knowing the type you can download drivers from the net and put onto a pen drive / cd and transfer to your problem machine.

heepster 16:03 06 Aug 08

Hi It doesnt say what is causing the error and there is nothing in device manager at all! Also no audio.I am thinking of re-installing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…