Error Code 19 on CD writer & DVD-Rom

olddog 08:45 20 Jul 05

I am getting the following message in the device Manager panel for both CD-RW and DVD-ROM drives: "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)".

The above are installed on the secondary IDE channel and was working for the last several months. They have stopped working now even though Windows XP recognises the units during boot-up.
The following files are loaded, as shown in the drivers details tab: cdrom.sys, redbook.sys and storprop.dll.
I believe that the following file: imapi.sys
should also be loaded but is not.
Is this what is causing the problem and how do I go about loading this driver?

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing these devices without success.

Please help!!

Olddog

€dstowe 09:14 20 Jul 05

Code 19
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. To fix this problem you can first try running a Troubleshooting Wizard. If that does not work, you should uninstall and then reinstall the hardware device. (Code 19)

Recommended resolution

A registry problem was detected.

This can occur when more than one service is defined for a device, if there is a failure opening the service subkey, or if the driver name cannot be obtained from the service subkey. Try these options:

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard. Click Uninstall, and then click Scan for hardware changes to load a usable driver. Restart the computer in Safe Mode, and then select Last Known Good Configuration. This rolls back to the most recent successful registry configuration.

This is from Microsoft support article Q310123

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…