Error Code 1068 (Windows Firewall)

Redshank 23:14 04 Oct 07

I'm unable to turn on windows firewall and get the message "windows cannot start the windows firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS) service". I've tried to resolve this by right clicking "my computer" and navigating to services/windows firewall, but I get the error message "1068:the dependency service or group failed to start".

Also, the fast user switching facility doesn't work (I can't turn it on via control panel). I've tried to turn this on via services but get the same message "1068:the dependency service or group failed to start".

I deleted some registry keys and McAfee in line with advice on another thead I posted (about loss of internet connection). This resolved my first problem, but could it have created this new one? I created a restore point before I commenced just in case.

Help!

skidzy 23:43 04 Oct 07

Forget windows firewall and get yourself a third party firewall with inbound and outbound protection.

Windows firewall,only gives you inbound protection.

click here under firewalls,select from Zonealarm / comodo / Sygate these are probably the best freebies around.
Remember,only one firewall to one computer.

More advice click here

jack 13:57 05 Oct 07

Skidzy's advice is good
I hands up to telling you to Reg Edit - where you may have inadvertanly taken out a Windows element with AOL[Blame AOL for that shall we? -;}

If you are still in trouble go to a restore to before the edit and then re-edit carefully this time not deleting any 'Windows' elements if you can spot them.

brundle 22:53 05 Oct 07

See the Terminal services fix here click here and make sure both are running, try firewall again.

Redshank 15:07 06 Oct 07

To stuff Skidzy, just what I wanted, many thanks!

Brundle - thanks for the fix. It's fixed my "fast user switching" problem, but Windows Firewall still won't start (same 1068 error code). However, I'm following Skidzy's advice and using an alternative firewall, so the problem is effectively "resolved" (hence the tick!)

Thanks again guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017