error code 0x0000007e

tosc 18:14 08 May 06

Windows xp would not start one morning not even in safe mode. I eventually tried a repair install which seemed to go ok but on rebooting I got the 0x0000007e error code plus some other figures. I can't get any further than that. I have been able to connect the hard drive to my laptop to rescue pics and other files. My xp disc is an upgrade, I don't know if that makes a difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

VoG II 18:16 08 May 06
  tosc 20:19 08 May 06

Thanks for responding so quickly but I can't find where Installing Devices appears. When during the repair install files are copied over and then the pc reboots. The windows xp screen appears with the small horizontal progress indicator below and about 3 seconds later the blue screen withe the error code appears.

ade.h 20:51 08 May 06

Can you give us the full error message verbatim?

You may need to run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console.

tosc 09:47 09 May 06

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down etc
Technical Information:
Stop: 0X0000007E (0X0000005,0XF6F5A4D0,0XF7A15FE8,0XF7A15CE8)
I ran chkdsk /r but the system stopped at the same point with the same code.

ade.h 17:09 09 May 06

A dodgy driver file might be to blame here. Tracking it down won't be easy, though if it is a driver file, it must one of the core components.

It might be better to start by repairing the boot sector via the RC, which can sometimes get you into Windows even when the error is not directly related.

tosc 17:44 09 May 06

I tried repairing the boot sector but it made no obvious difference. If it is a dodgy driver it must be one of the first ones to be loaded. Is there a particular order in which they are loaded and which ones go first.Alternatively if it is going to be tough and probably time consuming trying to find the culprit would it be better installing a fresh copy of xp without repairing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…