error checking on C drive with XP pro

number69 19:29 25 Jul 04

I am unable to do error checking on C drive anymore.
If I click on C drive >properties> tools > error checking > then tick automatically fix file system errors. I get the normal message of this can only be done at start-up.
I then accept and reboot the computer. When the computer starts up I don’t get the normal “a disc check has been scheduled etc” I get a message that says “.checking file system on C: The type of file system is NTFS. Cannot open volume for direct access. Windows has finished checking the disc.”
Windows then starts up.
Windows XP. Pro any ideas please

SANTOS7 19:34 25 Jul 04

shut down any firewall and A/V you have and try again

number69 19:45 25 Jul 04

Thanks for the reply.I have just tried turning off zone alarm and avg and xp firewall. The problem is still there.

SANTOS7 19:59 25 Jul 04

after more searching it still seems to be related to Zonealarms update to version 5, here is a solution found on another forum.

In the device manager enable viewing of hidden devices via the View menu.
Change the Startup Type of the VSDATANT device driver (under Non-Plug and Play Drivers) to Automatic. This will cause the driver to load later in the boot sequence, specifically, after CHKDSK has done it's thing

number69 19:59 25 Jul 04

Zone alarm is the cause of the problem.
Stopping zone alarm then rebooting does not cure the problem. Uninstalling zone alarm then rebooting restores error checking again.

number69 20:01 25 Jul 04

Many thanks SANTOS7

number69 20:01 25 Jul 04

Many thanks SANTOS7

SANTOS7 20:04 25 Jul 04

if you want to keep running ZA revert back to version 4.5, good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…