Error with Camera Memory Card

alfredgerald 13:55 28 Jun 14

Having trouble with a Kingston Technology micro SDHC 16 GBC16G camera memory card. Error message ‘this card was formatted by an external device and is not suitable for recording’. It displays the first 14 photos and then reports ‘this picture cannot be displayed’ but it recognises that there are 254 photos taken. I have never formatted the card, just incerted and taken photos. Any thoughts?

rdave13 15:03 28 Jun 14

You could try connecting the camera to the PC with the card in place and try Recuva to recover the photos. Create a destination folder on the desktop first so when the photos are recovered they can be sent to the folder. If it is successful you could then format the card using the camera.

More info here.

alfredgerald 11:52 30 Jun 14

Downloaded a file recovery programme, which identified 254 files on the memory card. It recovered them with .rfs file extensions. My PC was unable to open them. I then used a file convert programme on one of them and it converted it to a .jpeg but my PC is still unable to open it. Any thoughts?

Ian in Northampton 12:43 30 Jun 14

What are you trying to open it with? And - when you try to open it, are you getting an error message?

alfredgerald 13:01 30 Jun 14

Tried opening with a variety of software. All give the same error message. ‘Windows unable to open this file’ ‘Software may need updating’ or words to that effect.

Ian in Northampton 13:11 30 Jun 14

I use IrfanView as a viewer - it's free - which is usually pretty good.

Something that might be worth trying is to change the file extension - e.g. if it's .jpeg, change it to .jpg, and see if it'll open then. Or, go back to the original .rfs file and convert it to something like .png or .tif.

I just did some research. It seems that .rfs files are generated for the Android platform?

Pineman100 14:39 30 Jun 14

You don't say which recovery program you used. Was it Recuva, as suggested by rdave13? I find that one very reliable.

If the original files on the card still exist, I would try another recovery using Recuva.

I also agree with Ian's suggestion that you try renaming the recovered files' suffix.

After you've finished all of your recovery procedures, before you use the card again I suggest that you reformat it in the camera, using the camera's own software. Then try some test shots before you use it again in earnest.

alfredgerald 08:59 08 Jul 14

Thanks all. Have tried all of the above without success. I suspect it is a faulty card. Re formatted it and took a few test pictures. Can manage to successfully take 16 and view them. After that it tells me there is a file but I am unable to view them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:45 08 Jul 14

sounds as if you have a bad "sector" on the card. its probably never going to be any good so best bet is to through it away and get another.

you could tr running a chkdsk on the card (never tried that myself)you haave nothing to lose now.

woodchip 11:59 08 Jul 14

You may have exceeded the Camera Default memory size

alfredgerald 09:45 15 Jul 14

Hi Woodchip. Can you please expand a bit more? How will I know this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac