Start up today was as follows:

“An exception OE ( 8E?) has occurred at 0028:00000009 in VxD----- This was
called from 0028:C00301F9 in VxD NTKERD(01) + 0000E5FD”

“After some minutes I pressed the restart button yet again and the computer
settled on a screen with some options on it. The No.3 option as safe mode
was highlighted but I ignored it. . There was a No. 1 normal mode at top
and I hit figure 1 on keyboard + enter and it then followed through to the
desktop and was fine for hours with no signs of problems anywhere.”

This is a recently upgraded PC with Gigabyte motherboard, AMD 2.8mhz processor, Radeon AGP x8 graphics card, 256mb DDR333 PC2700 memory, 80gb hard drive running Win 98SE.

Can anyone pinpoint the problem.

I have already spent 2 days running this computer, switching it off, switching it on many many times and no problems have occurred all the time I was there. As soon as I get home I have an email saying it is “not working” again.

At first I thought it might be the graphics card but the one that is installed now is the third attempt. I now feel it is the memory. I won’t see him again until Wednesday 3rd August so if anyone can give me some pointers before then I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

SANTOS7 16:11 01 Aug 05

Ask them how many Anti-virus progs they are running
the error message seems to relate to software conflict

pj123 16:48 01 Aug 05

SANTOS7, all he has running is AVG, Adaware, Spybot, Spywareblaster and ZoneAlarm.

He also has Norton Go Back installed, which I don't like at all, but he is adamant that he wants to keep it.

SANTOS7 16:51 01 Aug 05

Norton go back is the most obtrusive prog i have ever come across,i am with you there all the way, only suggestion i can make at this time is to uninstall all A/V and spyware progs and reinstall.

woodchip 16:52 01 Aug 05

Yes he need to do a format and fresh install of 98 then load CD drivers that he got with the MOBO. He may get away with putting the MOBO CD in computer and loading the drivers. But it would not be my way.

SANTOS7 16:53 01 Aug 05

I cannot find any more details on the error message other than software conflict so it will be down to maybe a process of ellimination (hopefully go-back for good).

DieSse 16:54 01 Aug 05

Is that NTKERD or NTKERN ??

SANTOS7 16:57 01 Aug 05

click here
the only reason i base my theory on software conflict is the link.

pj123 17:46 01 Aug 05

woodchip, yes we did all that 3 weeks ago. It was a completely fresh start.

DieSse, his email said NTKERD(01), if it was NTKERN would that throw some light on the subject?

Looking at the link from SANTOS7 if it was NTKERN that would point to the RAM, which is what I think it now is. That is the only thing that hasn't been changed. I will now get him to buy another 256mb ram chip and on Wednesday I will swap it out. If it proves to be the problem I will post it.

Thanks for all the help/comments

I will keep this open until after Wednesday.

DieSse 17:56 01 Aug 05

I can't find references to NTKERD - but NTKERN is basically the NT Kernel - which would be expected.

woodchip 21:40 01 Aug 05

NTKERD I have had this in the past when the CPU fan was not cooling the CPU enough

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…