Error beeps on "dead" computer

Bald Eagle 16:47 03 Dec 06

About 6 months ago my daughter who had my old computer running XP Pro (made locally for me) said that the modem had stopped working. She replaced it with a new one but couldn’t get it to work. Being a girl she bought a new computer! By the way, she was in England and I was in France. Today I retrieved it and joined everything up and got nothing but error beeps. These were:- 2 short beeps, 8 long beeps, 2 short and 1 long.

On Google I’ve found there are different beeps according to motherboard etc. There is no screen display on the monitor but if I disconnect the monitor I get “NO SIGNAL RECEIVED” on the screen, so that’s working.

She says everything was working except the modem when she stopped using it. I’ve opened it up and given all the boards a “waggle”?

All I can see on the motherboard is K7S5A.

Any thoughts or advice most welcome. Sorry but after the 4 years since it was made I can’t remember anything else about it’s make up and the maker has moved on!

woodchip 16:50 03 Dec 06

Ether Memory or Graphics Problem

woodchip 16:50 03 Dec 06

Try removing all cards except Graphics, to try the comp

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:10 03 Dec 06

K7S5A uses Award BIOS (have 6 nearly 7yr old pc using this board networked)

You have a memory problem

Remove the memory sticks and refit one at a time to see if it will boot.

Bald Eagle 19:04 03 Dec 06

Thanks, will have another go inside.I never touched the memory sticks, will have a go now.
Ray

Bald Eagle 16:43 04 Dec 06

Took memory out and replaced. Computer booted up, no problems!!! Many thanks.

Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…