Error after virus removal

Shanks 08:24 18 Feb 03

I recently used the fix tool from Norton to get rid of the [email protected] virus. After a fresh install of the latest Norton AV and a check it appears to have cleard the virus completely. But now whenever I boot up (Win98) I get an error message saying:

\Recycled\Ge4HADh7.exe Cannot find file make sure th epath and file name are correct and tht all required libraries are available

The recycle bin is working fine - deleted files appear there and go when emptied or restore when asked. I have run SFC and that says all is fine. I have tried to search for this file and can't find it anywhere including the cab files on the win 98 disk.

Any ideas as to how can get rid of this message on boot up? (if I just OK the box, the pc works fine with no other problems)

Cheers

vaughan007 08:40 18 Feb 03

I wont pretend to be an expert on the file system of Windows 98. But I will throw you a few possibile explanations.

Firstly, this may be a Windows file. But this seems unlikely to me. The name just doesn't seem right to me.

Secondly (and more likely I think), this file was something to do with the virus you removed. It may have been the file which was run at boot-up so that the virus was immediately active.

If this is the case then there will be a reference to it somewhere so that windows looks for it when you first switch on.

Try looking in the win.ini file and the system.ini files (use notepad) for a reference to this filename.

However, I would suggest not changing these very important system files until you are fairly sure you know what you are doing.

Have you tried looking on the internet for file names associated with this virus? This can sometimes help as the virus often uses the same file names time and time again.

Sorry I can not be more help.

Shanks 09:42 18 Feb 03

Thanks vaughan007

I have tried a search (both Google and the MS support site) for this file name and can find no mention of it anywhere. I'll check te winn.ini files as you suggest and see.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…