Error 999

m800afc 19:21 28 Aug 09

Windows XP Pro SP3; ASRock 775VM800; Pentium 4; 3GHz; 2Gb RAM Firefox 3.5.2

Of late, when trying to access my yahoo mail I get an error message 999. I am told that this is temporary, and it may be the fault of my ISP, O2.

I have contacted O2, and verified that everything is set up correctly. They have no reports of problems with my connection or exchange. This has been going on for three weeks or more, and I cannot access my yahoo account at all. I can neither read my mail, or access saved mail, to recover addresses that I might use in another email client.

Please can someone explain why I get the 999 error so often, and what I can do to reduce its impact.

Thanks very much.

johnnyrocker 20:01 28 Aug 09

you may find the cure here click here=

johnny

woodchip 20:01 28 Aug 09
  m800afc 20:44 28 Aug 09

Thanks very much for the links.
From what I can make out, the 999 error is produced when yahoo thinks it is under attack. It then blocks what it considers to be the IP address responsible.
Example:
I switch on my computer and go to Yahoo to check my mail. That is all I do. I wait five minutes or so, and get the 999 error. I hardly think this represents an attack. The error can persist for 24 hours. It does not happen every time, and the "outage" is not a specific period. An email to Yahoo support elicited a pro-forma which basically said "Nothing to do with us" A second email asking for confirmation that the 999 error was in fact a Yahoo defence mechanism failed to yield an answer.

Eventually I would like to stop using the account, but it is a requirement of Yahoo Groups (Freecycle)

woodchip 20:54 28 Aug 09

Check the Resolution Steps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac