Error 691 occurs

gazmix 17:43 14 Mar 11

Every 90 days i dial-up to internet so my dial-up account doesn't expire. It's useful incase BB fails.

So this time i dial up & get 'error 691' which i see means my username & password aren't compatible.

Is there a way of retrieving my password as i can't remember it? The username is there.
I've done some other diagnostics on microsofts page, maybe i need to delete this & create another connection?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:00 14 Mar 11

click here SIW

download - run
look under Secrets

gazmix 19:16 14 Mar 11

I downloaded & ran the programme!

I see no 'secrets' dropdown list on the left, but there is 'passwords' under the software list!

Here is a list of password for :- facebook, Windows live etc & the only one i can see that resembles anything like my dial-up account username & password is my Outlook Express Account details which is everything after the @ sign in my email & then a password, could this be it?

gazmix 20:05 14 Mar 11

In device manager, there is a yellow & black exclamation mark over the modem!

It wasn't there earlier & now is! Is there a reason this has arrived!!

The error 691 is now another saying it couldn't detect modem!! Can i fix this?, i have no xp disk.

gazmix 16:11 29 Mar 11

Can anyone help with the yellow exclamation mark as i need to dial up to the internet account each 3 months or i will lose the account!

I have downloaded drivers from hp/compaq also:-

click here

i've uninstalled the modem prior to doing this & rebooted windows to try & let Window re-install the modem again, but nothing!

Can anyone help please!?

961 16:24 29 Mar 11

You could try a system restore to a date when the modem was working. You need to ensure that the modem is connecting to the correct port and that you have not altered the settings for the modem

Error 691 relates, as you say, to password and user name. I would suggest that what has happened is that the account has been cancelled at the ISP end perhaps because you have exceeded the 90 days or that they have just had a clear out of infrequently used accounts

The easy way out is to advise those in your address book of your new e-mail address because these dial up arrangements often go awry after a time

gazmix 18:26 29 Mar 11

maybe i should start a new thread!

the error 691 has been over ridden by the yellow exclamation mark.

I haven't done anything knowingly to the modem as 1 minute it was working, then it wasn't!

how would disabling my account, disable my modem?

961 19:53 29 Mar 11

It wouldn't

But you may have altered some settings in your efforts to rectify the problem

Did you try a system restore?

I'm not sure starting another thread will help

The first thing you need to do now is to get the modem working again. I see you downloaded new drivers. Can you roll back to the original drivers?

What you now need is to get the modem to dial out again. Then you can sort the user name/password problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant