Error 678-Unable to Connect to ISP

dregn 07:52 09 Aug 05

Iwas informed yesterday by my ISP (UK Online) that my line had now been B/B enabled.
I have a Draytek 2600G Router/Modem and I am running Win XP Pro.
I configured the router and entered User Name and Password supplied.I have tried in vain to get online to UK Online but every time I get the error message : 'Error 678 - remote computer did not respond'.
I have gone through the configuration setup several times and I am stumped.
Any advice much appreciated.

Taff36 08:40 09 Aug 05
  scotty 08:47 09 Aug 05

Don't know if this is the problem (I suspect it is not because you have been given a user name and password) but broadband providers which rely on you having a BT line have a two stage process. Firstly, BT have to enable the line for broadband and this can take about 1 week. Secondly, your ISP must activate the broadband and this can take several more days. Do you know if your line has been activated?

When the line is activated and you receive confirmation from the ISP, you should also receive modem settings information. For example,

Modem Settings:

Virtual Circuit Identifier (VCI): 38

Virtual Path Identifier (VPI): 0

Encapsulation mode : PPP over ATM VCMUX

Have you recived information similar to this?

scotty 08:49 09 Aug 05

Good morning Taff, do you never sleep?

Phphred 09:34 09 Aug 05

dregn,
I was connected to BB on Tuesday and could not get on line I occaisionally got your Error number but more often 680 "Cannot reach server"
But the "No Dial tone" error, gave me my fist clue and that is, I have or did a REN amplifier in circuit. I took my computer to a phone where the REN amplifier was not in circuit and it worked stright away. I then had a rethink about my telephone outlets and have now put the amplifier a diferent way into the circuit.

Phphred 09:34 09 Aug 05

dregn,
I was connected to BB on Tuesday and could not get on line I occaisionally got your Error number but more often 680 "Cannot reach server"
But the "No Dial tone" error, gave me my fist clue and that is, I have or did a REN amplifier in circuit. I took my computer to a phone where the REN amplifier was not in circuit and it worked stright away. I then had a rethink about my telephone outlets and have now put the amplifier a diferent way into the circuit.

scotty 09:46 09 Aug 05

Phphred's comment has made me think of another point - have you fitted ADSL filters to every phone socket?

dregn 19:58 09 Aug 05

Thanks,everyone for your help.
My ISP ( UK Online ) emailed me yesterday to inform me that my B/B was now enabled.
I have received the necessary setup info for configuring the router and the network connection.
I have fitted microfilters to all 4 telephone sockets.
My username and password are exactly as received from the ISP.
I have gone through every conceivable setting with great care ( several times ) but I still get the Error 678 message. I have checked the TCP/IP Properties and ensured that IP Address is obtained automatically. After initiating the connection there is a delay of about 20 seconds before receiving the error message.
I have not tried the Winsock XP fix and I will download this utility and report. I'm getting a bit frustrated but at least I still have dialup !
Thanks once again.

dregn 19:04 12 Aug 05

I tried Winsock XP fix but no success there.

I have again gone through all possible settings in attempting to connect to UK Online but to no avail.

UK Online Support are no help at all , I just get a message to say that they are very busy and they will get back to me which does not happen.

Any more thoughts before I revert to Dial up and give up on B/B ! ?

Phphred 19:14 12 Aug 05

Have you anything else connected to your phone line to take you above the 4 REN. A Sky box for instance is 1.5 another phone, caller display? Try unhooking everything else and then try your PC again!

lotvic 01:21 13 Aug 05

these diagrams might be of help
click here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…