error!

agent 47 14:15 19 Apr 05

could anyone please help!
my friend has windows me, and her children have been on the pc, now she cant get "paint" to open.
she doesnt know what they have done! the paint icon is still on the desktop, and it is still in programs,accesories.
but when u click on it, to start it, a message comes up saying
"mspaint has caused an error in MFC42.DLL. mspaint will now close"
anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,
hank!

ventanas 14:24 19 Apr 05

You can get a new copy from click here but there are so many versions of this file about that it may still not be the right one. I can recall having six different copies of this file at one time because different versions were required by different programs.

You can also try add/remove programs in Control Panel and under Windows Components\Accessories see if you can remove Paint and then reinstall it.

woodchip 14:34 19 Apr 05

There are that many versions of MFC42.DLL. It as been changed by another program that as been loaded. Go into Windows Explorer and look to see if there is a MFC42.old or MFC42.bak if there is rename the MFC42.DLL to MFC42.DLLx and then rename the one that you found back to MFC42.DLL and try paint

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…