Error 1606

Ancient Learner 15:28 12 Sep 05

Scenerio is a brand new laptop, and I'm trying to install Microsoft Works using the CD which came ith the Lap Top. I get the mesage that I have 'Error 1606 Could not access Network Location. %user profile%\recent\'.

According to Google thais is a known problem, but I have tried the fixes mentioned, but I find that there is nothing to alter!

There is a firm click here who I have not heard of before where a downloaded bit of software has 'found' some 260 errors! To fix these they want $36 for me to buy their software.

I am somewhat doubtfull. Would someone care to comment please.

I know that I could contact the LapTop makers support, but that is not as easy as it sounds, and when I succeed, I suspect it will be 'reinstall Windows' which I most certainly do not want to do, having spent a lot of time installing a lot of software.

VoG II 15:35 12 Sep 05
  Ancient Learner 16:36 12 Sep 05

I've followed your link and it seems to concern '"Cannot remove previous version" error message when you install Microsoft Works'.

I am a bit confused, are you saying that the Error 1606 is something to do with that then?

VoG II 17:33 12 Sep 05

If you are getting an error message similar to

Error 1606. Could not access NetWork location "::\documents and settings\all users\desktop".

then 'yes'. You need to follow the instructions in the link.

Ancient Learner 17:44 12 Sep 05

Not quite that message. It says:- Error 1606 Could not access network location %user profile%\recent\. Is this similar to what you have put?

Sorry to be so doubtful! I really do not know what I am doing.

I've just managed to speak to the support at Acer, the maker's of the Laptop but they have never heard of this error and couldn't help after realising that I was not happy at returning the Laptop or doing a reinstall of Windows. (They had a queue of 18 when I contacted them.)

VoG II 17:50 12 Sep 05

Yes it is a very similar message plus the error code (1606) is identical.

Ancient Learner 18:06 12 Sep 05

Right then.Obviously I don't have tis 'Picture It' programme, so I assume that I use the same procedure. However, I can't fathom what that is!

I have already made sure that there is no sign of an old version in the Add/Remove programmes. So I get the Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility and try that next. That looks as if it could remove some registry stuff and keys, but not actual programme files.

I have just had a search for 'Works' and many files reside on 'C' drive despite there being no sign of them elsewhere. I am hoping that this will safely get rid of these too.

VoG II 18:09 12 Sep 05

The Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will allow you to safely remove the registry entries for Works. You should then be able to install Works. If you accept the default location for the installation, it should overwrite the files that you've found.

Ancient Learner 19:38 12 Sep 05

Thank you for your reply.

I do dispair. This is Microsoft at its best.

I have downloaded the Utility, msicuu2.exe Ok, but when I attempt to install it, I get the same result as before, ie. error 1606 etc, precisely the same.
Oh Dear!

Now where do I go from here I wonder!

Ancient Learner 19:46 12 Sep 05

The man at Acer, who, I admit I have little faith in, suggested that I try uninstalling all my Internet defence systems, Zone Alarm, Nod32 and Counterspy. I've tried with them all turned off to no effect. Any comment?

woodchip 19:49 12 Sep 05

Try this it may work. double click my computer,with the CD in drive open the CD drive so you can see all the folders and files. you need to hold the Ctrl key down and click all the above then right click on one and drag to desktop and choose copy this will take a while. Restart computer keep tapping F8 choose Safe mode from list. When you get into windows Safe Mode look for the setup file in the folders and files of the copy and double click it to start setup. See if that works. PS if it works you can delete the copy after on the Desktop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…