Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): Unknown...HELP!!!

buel 18:49 PM 08 Jul 11

Hi, my friend has a fortnight old new Acer laptop and suddenly he cannot get on the internet/Bring his homepage up using Google Chrome OR IE. On Google Chrome he gets this message:Error 101 (net::ERRCONNECTIONRESET): Unknown

He had Avast AND McAfee antivirus both running at the same time...i have run Malwarebytes and Spybot and Spy bot found a few entries but still the problem persists.

Note: Programs can update via wireless no problem but just no luck when it comes to bringing up a page.

Please can anyone help?

buel 19:15 PM 08 Jul 11

Hello, can anyone help please?

ams4127 19:23 PM 08 Jul 11

Uninstall either Avast or McAfee. Never run two antivirus programmes at the same time, they will cause conflicts.

From Command prompt run ipconfig /flushdns

Try loading webpage again. If not working

From Command prompt run ipconfig /registerdns

Command prompt must be run with administrator privileges

buel 19:40 PM 08 Jul 11

Thank you so much.

I will do just that after the Super AntiSpyware scan that is currently running. Just a question- apparently it came preinstalled with both those AntiVirus you think is correct?

buel 19:46 PM 08 Jul 11

Hi, ok i did both but still no luck....although i must say that i dont know how to run it as administrator as i just went to 'run' and opened from there, i didn't see an option to run as administrator?

ams4127 20:06 PM 08 Jul 11

In IE go to TOOLS - Internet options - Advanced and press Reset

To run Command Prompt as Aministrator.....Right Click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

buel 21:52 PM 08 Jul 11

PHEEEW!! I made the mistake of doing the command prompts first....and the problem still persisted. BUT...when i uninstalled McAfee to leave Avast still running both IE and Chrome worked perfectly! Thank you so much Ams4127!!

Ps- Just one more thing- My friend insists that both McAfee and Avast were preinstalled on the laptop when he got it...does this seem a bit odd?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Jean Jullien, Supermundane and more design badges for Farmdrop's 'local food revolution'

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know