err msg "p2p network can not start"

frior-one 10:50 18 Aug 03

after attending my nephews pc to remove the blaster worm on friday (i installed the patch, activated the firewall and updated virus defs) he now gets a pop-up error "p2p network can't start". he has broadband and against my advice installed kaza. is this error because of what i have done?
is the only way to get rid of it to un-install kaza? is there a kaza removal tool, i have heard it does all sorts of thing to the registry and by simply un-installing it does not clean it out complely.

jazzypop 10:57 18 Aug 03

I suspect that he has Kazaa set to run automatically at boot-up, and that the recently-activated firewall is preventing Kazaa from making the connection.

Either search Google for "kazaa removal tool" (there are plenty available), or set the firewall to allow Kazaa to connect.

frior-one 11:03 18 Aug 03

i am using the windows xp firewall, can you do that with this ? should i get a different firewall, say zone alarm?

jazzypop 11:21 18 Aug 03

click here to open specific ports in XP's firewall.

Note that XP's firewall only blocks incoming connections, not outgoing. For incoming and outgoing protection, I would consider using the excellent free Sygate firewall (go to sygate.com), or Zonealarm (which I personally dislike).

frior-one 11:30 18 Aug 03

what is it about it that you do not like? i use it at wotk on a win me machine and its fine. is it more troublesome on xp?

jazzypop 11:54 18 Aug 03

ZA brought out a whole series of versions (a few years ago) that caused endless problems for many users, culminating in a version that insisted on dialling out as soon as the PC was started. It has never darkened my door since.

Remember that, as stated above, this is a personal opinion. I am prepared to believe that ZA has improved since I last used it, and I am sure that there are plenty of happy users. However, Sygate has worked quietly and well for me since day one, and is the firewall that I choose to recommend.

frior-one 12:02 18 Aug 03

thank you for that honest answer.
i think i will close this thread now as i think i have the answers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…