Eratic Mouse Pointer

Hi, I am trying to fix a friends Dell Latitude laptop. Everything was screwed up so I reinstalled Windows XP Professional onto it. All is fine except that the mouse pointer keeps trying to go to either the top right or bottom left corner every so often. This happens for a few seconds then it works fine.

If I plug an external mouse into either the PS2 or serial socket then things get really eratic. Windows open everywhere and its as if somebody has clicked (very quickly) on the left or right button. This lasts a few seconds and then is fine for about 30 before starting again.

The computer has XP pro, SP2 and Office XP on it. Nothing else. It has never been connected to the internet so I don't see how it can be a virus.

I forgot to look at the model number before I left but my friend says that it is a latitude 500-600. It is a few years old and has an 800 Mhz CPU with 256 Mb or RAM.

ANy ideas

Dan the Doctus 20:55 21 Nov 05

10 possible reasons click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…