erasing pics on rw/cd

johnnyrocker 00:18 12 Jul 06

might be a silly question and if so i apologise in advance.
question is why can i not delete a single pic file from a rw cd when i can quite easily delete all on same cd?
pardon my ignorance but info apprreciated.

johnny.

ArrGee 00:25 12 Jul 06

When you insert the CD/RW, on the left panel of the window that appears (once you go to My Computer - Explore) should be something alongs the lines of 'delete contents' or 'initailise disc'. Sorry to be vague, but I don't have a CD/RW to hand, however I have seen an option as such.

terryf 04:41 12 Jul 06

Suggest that you look at the file properties (right click) and you may see that it is set to read-omly

Gongoozler 05:49 12 Jul 06

You can only delete individual files if the cd is formatted and the files written using packet writing software such as Nero InCD. This article describes the process click here.

johnnyrocker 08:59 12 Jul 06

many thanks for replies so far (very helpful)beginning to understand, funny one can erase a complete disk but not individual items.

johnny.

pj123 09:11 12 Jul 06

You can delete individual files from a CD-RW even if it isn't formatted.

I never format RWs anymore. The snag is though, you have to use Nero to do it.

Put the CD in and open Nero. Delete the files by right clicking them and Delete.

Once you have done that you need to "burn" the CD again, which will "update" the CD-RW.

That's the way I do it, works OK for me.

johnnyrocker 09:16 12 Jul 06

great stuff, does that mean i have to list all the pics i want to keep again or just re burn so to speak?

johnny.

johnnyrocker 11:47 12 Jul 06

well with the useful info provided i shall go have a play, will tick in the meantime.
thanks to all.

johnny.

pj123 15:59 12 Jul 06

johnnyrocker, Sorry I had to go out early this morning and have just got back.

I tend to wait until I have more files to add and then do the deletions at the same time, but I don't see a problem with just doing the deletions. Everything else on the disc will still be there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5