Erasing DVD+RW discs

Billawa 11:28 15 Oct 08

I have Win XP SP3 and am trying to erase a DVD+RW. Firstly the computer tells me that the disc in the drive is a CD+RW not a DVD+RW. I can burn files to the disc but when trying to erase them the following happens.

The Windows CD erasing wizard appears but then tells me that an error has occurred and nothing has been erased. Using a dedicated eraser programme gets the same result. I can, however, view the files currently on the disc but they all have the Windows Explorer logo on them. If I then try to drag and drop another file on to the disc I get the message "Windows doeas not support this CD-RW format. To use this disc choose the task "Erase this CD-RW" which will format the disc so that Windows can use it".

Trying this produces the same result - unable to erase the disc. I am mystified that the computer identifies the disc as a CD rather than a DVD. Is there an answer to this as I have a number of discs of this type and would like to use them and be able to re-use them? Thanks in advance for any suggestions

T I M B O 12:13 15 Oct 08

Remove the drivers for ur dvd-rom and reboot or re-install the drivers if they came on a cd. Reboot then try again, sometimes drivers get confused.

Best of luck........

john bunyan 12:30 15 Oct 08

I have found I need to use a (bought) programme, such as Nero - I use Roxio Creator 2009, for all sorts of disc utilities.(Including erasing DVD +RW) Probably someone will suggesr a free utility.

eedcam 12:40 15 Oct 08

Try imgburn its free and apart fromerasing its a better burner than nero
click here

T I M B O 12:46 15 Oct 08

i have used nero always treated me well, but since the problem is seeing a dvd as a cd then nero & imgburn is not going to help much ???

Did i lose the plot ??

Rahere 14:04 15 Oct 08

Have you recorded on the DVD+RW in any other machine? I wonder if it's a format issue?

Also I had a friend check this with a fresh DVD+RW and XP Home SP3 shows this as a CD... could be that you need to install DVD software to get full functionality - not sure what DVD burn software you are using but try different software click here is free and good

Rahere 16:48 15 Oct 08

I looked in to this a little further - there is an issue with certain types of UDF formats see:
click here

"When using the VAT build, CD-RW/DVD-RW media effectively appears as CD-R or DVD+/-R media to the computer." it goes on to say "However, the media may be erased again at any time." which in this case isn't possible.

Billawa 12:40 16 Oct 08

Thanks to everyone who replied.

CD BurnerXP did not recognise the files on the DVD+RW - it seems limited to certain types of file only. IMGBURN seems to be working and is in the process of deleting the DVD+RW at the moment. Hopefully when it has finished I will have a "clean" disc. If the disc has not been deleted I weill come back for more ideas!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…