Erasers, cleaners, washers, privacy-protectors etc

NickyK 20:05 14 Nov 04

There seems to be hundreds of these, many of which claim to be "The Web's No. 1" (yeah, right).

Three questions:

1. Are these things worth the bother for the home user? (e.g., do they really free up space, speed up the computer performance and protect privacy?),

2. Does anybody have a particular favourite?

3. Has there ever been a completely impartial trial/compare/assessment done anywhere?

stalion 20:09 14 Nov 04

think this is one for speakers corner

TomJerry 20:18 14 Nov 04

some worth money, some do not, but you can get free one for most thing you mentioned

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:23 14 Nov 04

click here (free version of adaware) click here (free version of Ccleaner)and click here (free version of regseeker. These three are all you should need without going over the top. They are the only three (four if you count AVG anti-virus free edition click here)that I use and recommend others to use. You will not get hacked on a home computer;-))

G

NickyK 20:29 14 Nov 04

To be honest, stalion, I am not sure this post fits in speakers corner (it is not an opinion) any more than in consumer watch - I looked at both and chose this because it was the most general. Not that it's a cry for help either.

Ah well, I'll leave it here for a wee while, and resolve it after dinner.

Ta.

NickyK 21:24 14 Nov 04

Thanks, GANDALF. Just the kind of advice I was looking for. I've read about Ccleaner and regseeker elsewhere on this forum and they seem just the kind of stuff that suits my computer-useage. I'll now give 'em a try (got adaware [most excellent], and downloaded AVG free-edition yesterday - which is v. good).

Now I feel reassured - which was, really, what I was looking for.

Thanks to stalion and Mithrandir (GANDALF) for their posts.

bukkaz 21:27 14 Nov 04

Agree with above but as a personal prefernce have been using avast anti-virus and found that to be very good with regular updates.

bukkaz 21:27 14 Nov 04

Agree with above but as a personal prefernce have been using avast anti-virus and found that to be very good with regular updates.

NickyK 21:29 14 Nov 04

And thanx bukkaz - your post arrived while I was resolving this strand. I'll give avast a butchers.

Ta.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…