//some 3rd party need geo

erase all from PC and start again

B.J. 16:44 29 Jan 03

Is it a good idea to wipe the hard disk clean and re load just what you need back on again ? I had a mate who has now moved to France that used to recommend doing this now and again to keep his PC 'sharp' B.J.

A Cat Called George 16:50 29 Jan 03

I would agree with your mate. A clean install after formatting will always improve performance, and can help to reduce the frequency of crashes.

Belatucadrus 16:58 29 Jan 03

It depends how you use the PC, if like me you're a sucker for cover disks and trial programs, the disk & registry will be cluttered and a reformat is an extremely good idea. Time consuming but productive. If you're PC only has the software it was supplied with it probably isn't worth it. click here for an acrobat download on 9X reformatting, it'll give you some idea as to what you're getting in to.

Legolas 17:21 29 Jan 03

I am a fan of formatting to rid your computer of the accumulated rubbish, of course you are better to take a few moments just to plan what you want to save, but I like the feeling of starting from a clean slate and it definately improves the performance of your system, so yes I recommend it.

B.J. 16:08 30 Jan 03

Thanks a lot folks. But I still am trying to find out how to do it. Cant get Belatucadrus's link to work yet.
If somebody can advise how to wipe & re start I will be glad.......but meantime I'll try'n fix the 'link'.........Thank's again all.........B.J.

lixdexik 16:32 30 Jan 03

If you have win98 then it is quite easy. first make sure you have backed up everything you want to keep of your personal stuff. secondly make sure you have all the disks for progs and hardware drivers. ok put the win98 start up floppy into the A drive and switch on the machine. choose to start with cd rom support. after much churning you will come to the dos A>\ prompt.. at this prompt type format c:/s there is a space between format and the c you will be asked if you want to proceed hit y and enter. depending on the size of the drive it will take a while to go through. at the end you will get a mesage like volume lable 11 caracters press enter for none.. just press enter and there you have it one formated system disk ready to load all the progs that you have to hand.

Good luck Lixdexik.

pj123 16:37 30 Jan 03

Before you start again from scratch (which all of us have to do at some time) make sure you have all the driver discs and programme discs, cos you will have to re-install everything. If you still really want to do it email me and I will send you a disk and instructions. as an IT teacher, and PC engineer I do have to do this quite often.

jazzypop 16:44 30 Jan 03

How to format - click here

B.J. 16:48 30 Jan 03

Thank's again folk's I'll give it a try......(anybody wanna buy a wiped out PC cheap ?) B.J.

Belatucadrus 17:06 30 Jan 03

The link is direct to a file download, the address is as follows, take out the gap after the www. I don't known why it isn't working for you I've just checked and it's still valid.

click here .pcplus.co.uk/media/pcplus/pdf/173/173.feature.installingwindows.pdf

Belatucadrus 17:07 30 Jan 03

Nuts, ignore the click here on the above, it only reads www.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…