EpsonC82 USB Problem

joey 21:32 13 Aug 03

Can anyone help, I've just bought a C82 printer,it installed and printed a test page OK on a USB port, but randomly when trying to print a photo (best quallity) it stops and I get a message saying a communication error has occured.
Tried re-install and new USB cable with no luck.
Works fine with parallel port but it is very slow at printing photos. My system is Win ME AMD 400 196mb Ram

Djohn 21:50 13 Aug 03

Did you remember to install the drivers for the USB before connecting printer. If not, then remove drivers and printer from PC, install drivers, then connect the printer. Should sort things out for you. j.

Giggle n' Bits 21:52 13 Aug 03

amount of memory, I gues your CPU is under the 950MHz also.

I would uninstall the printer and download the WinME Drivers for the Epson C82 from
click here also the other thing, think its called system monitor or something which will be on same page as driver download.

Ref printing Colour photo's it is normal to print slow but theres slow and slow, how slow in minutes would help.

woodchip 22:05 13 Aug 03

You are probably using the windows driver, not the supplied driver on the CD. To over come this you need to follow these steps closely. First remove the printer USB plug from the printer, go to Add Remove programs and remove the Printer and software. If you do not have any other Epson products go to start find files type Epson and remove all Epson files that it finds. Now right click on My-Computer Properties Device Manager remove each USB that you can see starting from the bottom of the list click the plus sign to expand when you have removed, restart your computer let windows reconfigure the USB do not try to load printer or plug it in ast this point. When all USB have been loaded plug the printer in, the Hardware Wizard will prompt you for the Win ME disc at this point cancel the box, Then put the Epson CD in the computer and it should auto start load the Printer and software from the CD and it should then work.

BillEmm 22:30 13 Aug 03

These modern high dpi printers need lots of CPU power and plenty of RAM to work effectively at maximum resolutions.

It probably works OK in parallel mode as the bus is very slow and your processor and RAM can handle the data rate but at USB 1.1 speeds there is probably a bottleneck occurring, either in the USB bus or in the processor and/or RAM bus.

196MB RAM should be OK but an AMD 400 has not enough power.

You cannot expect decent speeds if you are printing at maximum density.

As other have mentioned - it is important that you have the latest Epson drivers installed. However as you have just bought the machine then the drivers on the CD should be at the latest level.

Sorry, but if you want to use USB then you will have to keep your maximum resultion to 1200dpi - maybe less - or stay with the parallel port connection.

Bill

joey 19:41 14 Aug 03

I think Billmm might be right, as the drivers are the latest Epson ones, and I installed them before connecting the printer.When it does work I can print a photo (best quallity) in about 4 minutes using the USB port, where it takes the parallel port about 20 minutes.
Looks as though I'll have to upgrade!

woodchip 20:42 14 Aug 03

The USB should work power is not the problem. Try what I said above

woodchip 20:44 14 Aug 03

My son as got the same printer running on a
Pentium 2 -233Mz with 128mb ram

Jester2K II 20:54 14 Aug 03

Follow woodchip advise re the Drivers.

Ignore the rubbish about lack of power and RAM. Lots of "somethings" and "i think" in those postings.

This printer can run on a Windows 95 PC any the are GENERALLY very low powered.

Minimum spec from Epsons Website for this printer - click here

Windows Me
Pentium 150MHz
32MB RAM
20MB HDD Space

BillEmm 23:40 14 Aug 03

I do get things wrong from time to time but I never produce 'rubbish'.

If you had any experience in computer support and servicing you would not use such language or be so sure of your own position.

Exchange of views, conflicting arguments and opinions are all part of the game but it should all be done in an educated, friendly and mature manner.

Bill

pj123 10:51 15 Aug 03

I also had the same problem as you, not C82 though but still Epson USB printer. I was given two options by the Epson helpdesk. 1. always switch the printer on before booting the computer. or 2. Do not switch the printer off at all. I now never switch my printer off and it works perfectly every time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…