Bucko1 14:15 09 Sep 03

I am thinking of buying the above printer as I have heard it is fantastic for printing photos.
Which is what I want it for.
The thing that worries me is that I have heard several reports that the ink heads keep clogging up and that you have to run the head cleaning utility frequently, which wastes a lot of ink.

Does anyone have one of these who could let me know of their experience of this problem and also if you use compatable inks and their quality as opposed to originals.
Thanks any advice would be much appreciated as I don't want to buy a pup!!!

Mysticnas 16:49 09 Sep 03

yes i've had this printer now for about a year. I've gone through 3 changes...

I usually print out cover sheets (photos) for my projects in full colour on Epson Premium Glossy Photo paper, i paid £11.99 for a pack of 20 sheets.

I think the clogging occurs when the printers not used for a while and the ink dries up. It gives really good quality prints though, especially photo's.

I think for the price it's one of the best you'll get.

Diemmess 17:27 09 Sep 03

Have had Stylus Colour Esc P2, Photo 700 and Photo 870, none of which gave the problems you fear.

The 870 (current) is now sometimes left for 3 weeks without use and still works first time every time,(I shall probably regret saying that!) because I use a small Epson Lazer for routine stuff.

Epson as a company does have a hard nosed approach these days, and though they will replace under warranty, if you are looking for driver support on an obsolete model, forget it!

Finally - for some reason text is no better and perhaps poorer on a photo printer. than their bog standard cheap ones.

pj123 18:12 09 Sep 03

I don't have an 830 but I have 3 other epson printers. I usually run a quick test print through them all about once a week. Never had to do a physical "Head Clean" yet. I use compatible ink from Choice Stationery at click here never had a problem with it. Also get my photo glossy paper from Choice as well. Good value, Good delivery time.

rickf 19:32 09 Sep 03

The 830 is on special offer at dabs.£59incl. Got one and its brilliant for photos.

Proxy worm 19:36 09 Sep 03

got one brill.

961 19:41 09 Sep 03

I use Epson for photos and the result is of the best. However. The price of the inks is creeping up and although compatible cartridges are good, they aren't the tops if you are after the best photos pics. In that case you need to use Epson. And that's expensive. Also, if you leave the thing unused for long enough the inks will dry and clog the print head. The difficulty about that is that the print head is in the printer and once it's out of guarantee you have a problem. How long is long enough? Well, in the present summer I suggest not tooooo long if the printer is in a warm place. If it's cool then perhaps a bit longer especially if you clean the heads every now and again.
For my everyday printing I use a Hewlwtt Packard which has the print head in the cartridge, so that every time you but a new cartridge you get a new print head even if you buy a compatible cartridge. I have to say that unless you want 100% best photo result HP is probably better every time as the printer lasts until the actual mechanics give out. I haven't reached that point yet. The new HP printers are very good and photo results up to 95% of Epson in my view. Compatible inks with HP are good and although HP ink is expensive too the new print head every time is worth the money in my view.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…