Epson R300 - General Error

BigAl127 13:31 21 May 06

I've got an Epson R300, which on switching on says general error, please consult your documentation. "General error Turn the printer off. Remove any foreign objects from inside the printer. Wait a few minutes, and then turn the printer back on. If the problem persists, contact your dealer. Clear all print jobs waiting to be printed from the computer before turning off the printer. Remove any jammed paper, wait a few minutes, and then turn the printer back on." Checked all the above taken from the Epson Reference guide.

Also reset the waste ink counter using the "stop, maintenance & power buttons" together.

I'm unable to run the SSC Utility program, as this tells me the printer is turned off, which i'm assuming is caused by the error message.

Have also checked the waste ink pads, which don't appear to be excessively wet/dirty.

Any further thoughts/ideas appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Stuartli 13:44 21 May 06

Have you been printing on disks? The left hand drop down tray may not have been replaced correctly in the upright position.

BigAl127 13:47 21 May 06

Thanks for the super fast response.

The last printing was done on paper. And the tray appears to be back ok.

Stuartli 14:11 21 May 06

Try uninstalling the printer and then rebooting.

You do have the latest driver from the Epson website (5.5b)?

Epson help for R300 at:

click here

BigAl127 17:38 21 May 06

Already tried the first 2 suggestions of yours.

And been on the epson site, that's where I got the original info from about foreign objects, and clearing print jobs.

I never seem to get a simple problem :-(

Thanks again for your ideas.

BigAl127 07:43 22 May 06

Bump

BigAl127 19:21 22 May 06

Spoke to Epson today,ran a few checks. Appears to be an hardware fault. As printer is out of warranty, they offered to exchange it for a Quality Assured printer (previous return that's been repaired and fully tested to their standards)and would come with a standard 12 month warranty, at a cost of £54.

Is it worth doing?

Opinions appreciated.

Stuartli 23:46 22 May 06

I would put the £54 towards the R240/R340 or similar printer that has superceded the R300 - also uses two fewer cartridges whilst returning results that are virtually indistiguishable from the six cartridge models.

BigAl127 08:06 23 May 06

My thinking was i'd be better putting the £54 towards a new printer, however I didn'trealise the R240/R340 were out.I thought the R220/R320 were the latest models.

Do the R240/R340 print on cd/dvd's ? as I can see no mention of it, from the specs i've found

Thanks Stuartli for your help once again

Stuartli 09:20 23 May 06

The R340 prints on media but, surprisingly, the feature seems to have been dropped from the R240. See:

click here

BigAl127 23:55 28 May 06

Ended up buying a R220 from PC World at £61.89 ordered online & collected in store just over an hour later.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…