epson printer failure

cosh 22:49 23 Sep 03

I have had an Epson stylus color 660 for a couple of years and been very satisfied with it. However recently whilst running the head cleaning facility several times the three red lights and the green power light started flashing-(it was not out of paper or inks). The manual says "unknown fault see dealer". The printer is now an obsolete model so I have stripped it down and found no obvious faults eg disconnected internal wiring,dry joints or discoloured components. On switching on the cartridge carrier goes through its usual traverses and then comes to rest at the right hand side and and then all the lights flash and it does not respond to anything except the on/off button. I assume the fault is somewhere on the Main board (labelled "C256 MAIN-B BOARD")

Am I likely to be correct?
Where might I find a good main board and what would be the likely cost?

Any assistance would be welcome as I have no real desire to change my printer-I was quite satisfied with the 660.

Thanks Keith

Djohn 23:10 23 Sep 03

The Epson 660 is a good printer. The fault may mean that the soak pads, or as sometimes called, waste ink tanks have become full.

These are two felt pads, one sits under the printhead, [Right-hand side] and the other is on the left side of the carriage rail. They are there to soak up ink and clean the heads during the cleaning cycle.

You can remove the front plastic cover of printer, [Two screws], park the print-head in the centre of the printer, and check to see if the pads have hardened, or are full of ink and can take no more.

Gently remove them and place in a bowl of warm water but keep hold of them at all times as they may dissolve if left. Gently squeeze them a couple of times and replace. If they are beyond repair, you can buy new ones from an approved Epson repair centre.

There are several of these round the country, and a quick visit to Epson website will give you the address and phone number of your nearest one. j.

Hunte® 23:27 23 Sep 03

Just claning the padws wont fix the problem as the printer has a counter that will also need resetting. Officially this can only be done by an Epson repair centre, but software does exist on the net to do it for you.

cosh 20:00 24 Sep 03

Thank you Djohn and HunteR for your responses.
I had cleaned and dried the ink pads you mentioned and the large ones in the base of the printer but I doubt that these being "full" could cause the flashing lights and printer ceasing to funtion as there is no apparent feedback mechanism, mechanical or electrical, to the control board.
HunteR Can you please point me in the right direction to find the software on the web to reset the counter.
Thanks Cosh

cosh 23:19 26 Oct 04

I have now visited and fixed my printer problems. Thanks

The Spires 23:56 26 Oct 04

click here will allow a reset.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…