Epson printer colours wrong

Oldcodger 19:59 07 Jan 03
  Oldcodger 19:59 07 Jan 03

My friend and I both run different systems but have the same printer, Epson C62, with the same problem. On printing a photo, dig. camera, scan, etc, (e.g. wedding group) and with setting 'gloss', 'best photo' etc, there is an overall mauve or pink cast - not just a little, but totally unacceptable. I had a similar prob. with the C40 before and got round it by turning back the magenta in the col. settings to more than half way - same seems to work (but needs even more!) for the C62. Surely we can't be the only two with this problem?
Help? ---Please!

€dstow 07:37 08 Jan 03

What is the print quality like at other settings of paper type and other attributes?

If your complaint is only at one setting, are you using the paper appropriate to to that setting, remembering that being an Epson printer the default settings will be optimised for Epson paper. Despite what you may think, there is a big difference in the way that fancy, expensive papers behave in printers. For example in the Epsons here, we have huge difficulties with Kodak paper and this applies to all the Epsons we have (quite a few). Kodak paper is perfectly OK in a Xerox inkjet printer though.

Final question, are you using genuine Epson ink cartridges or compatibles or refills?

€d

€dstow 07:42 08 Jan 03

Another point is that you mention wedding pictures. These have been a problem ever since photography was invented - even more after colour photography and digital photography is no different. The huge contrasts between the bride's whites and the groom's dark suit gives the photographer (or, more likely, his darkroom assistant) enormous problems in keeping colour casts out and maintaining detail in both the bride and groom's outfits.

€d

Oldcodger 10:17 08 Jan 03

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm still on the orig. Epson ink that came with C62 but I found ,with the C40, that compatible ink made no appreciable difference. However, you do seem to get a sharper image with the Epson paper (I use "Photo Quality Glossy Film" setting) but this makes no difference to the overall 'pink' hue.
My friend has now gone on to a compatible ink with no real difference. The wedding pic. I mentioned is a perfectly normal one with the stone of the church in the background and not overcontrasted at all. The complete pic. was like a pink filter had been held in front of it.
I feel this prob. might go deeper than just basic settings. I know I can get round it by using the "Advanced/Custom/col. controls", but my point is that I shouldn't have to.
Thank you for your interest. I look forward to more comments.

woodchip 10:24 08 Jan 03

Try using Plain Paper setting I find it the best

woodchip 10:28 08 Jan 03

PS in the printer setting I also set my slider Cyan to plus 15%

vienna1981 10:28 08 Jan 03

my dad has this similar problem with his epson 680, but its with all paper settings! i've tried cleaning the heads for him but its still happening!

ripvan 10:42 08 Jan 03

Take a look at Qimagepro software from click here and the 30 day free trial.It is a photo editing suite but it also takes control of your printer 'data dump' to print your photos so printer quality is never an issue and has built in colour correction files for printers/screens/scanners etc.You really need to read the info on the site to see what can be achieved.Just try some of your prints and compare them.Once used you'll not want to use anything else.

€dstow 10:53 08 Jan 03

This colour casting is quite common with almost all printers- this is the very reason that adjustments are available. In your, and your friend's case, it seems more pronounced than usual.

The simplest answer if the adjusters in the printer software are inadequate is to use something like that suggested by ripvan. There are numerous others available as well motly included in pho editing programs.

An advantage of Epson printers in this is that the printheads are a permanent feature of the printer (unlike many other brands) and once you have the setting(s) adjusted to the way you want, provided the ink is consistent (always genuine, or if not, the same substitute) and the paper(s) the same, you should obtain consistent results - which you can put into memory.

If it is really bad, you might consider contacting Epson and perhaps, with their say so, send some examples of your complaint.

€d

€dstow 10:56 08 Jan 03

I need adjusting myself this morning. One sentence should read:

"There are numerous others available as well, mostly included in photo editing programs"

It's the wrong type of cold weather affecting my points heaters!

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…