Epson Perfection 3170 Photo

User-178362 16:22 20 Nov 06

Having XP Pro installed I cannot scan my pictures. Had driver updated but cannot download 2.6gz only part of the 11.MB file. Help please.

I will be back in an hour. I read where you like to know if I am on line waiting for replys.

Pamy 16:45 20 Nov 06

sea princess XP Pro, I think you will have to describe your problem in a little more detail. Not understanding what "Having XP Pro installed" has to do with you not being able to download total driver prog.?

Diemmess 17:32 20 Nov 06

If you are having trouble installing the scanner after a new installation of XP Pro, I suggest the following.

1. Do your best to clear all existing traces of the software. Try add/remove programs first and then look for any remnants left lying about.

2. Reboot with scanner unplugged (USB?)

3. Use the orginal scanner's CD to install the drivers and be ready to plug the scanner in, if and when it is asked for.

4. If not asked for, reboot and when desktop finally steady, then if it still has not been asked for, cross your fingers and plug the scanner in once more!

User-178362 18:24 20 Nov 06

Diemmess. Everything you suggest has been done. A every good and wise friend did it for me, I looked on. Add/remove was done but I myself wouldn't know where to look for any remnants lying around where should I look control panel? I might retrace my friends footsteps and look for remnants once I know where they might be. If I do would I be going back to before a driver was updated and have to update it again? In Epson Smart Panal I can scan and reprint photoes but it will not Scan and save.

User-178362 19:07 20 Nov 06

Diemmess. Everything you suggest has been done. A every good and wise friend did it for me, I looked on. Add/remove was done but I myself wouldn't know where to look for any remnants lying around where should I look? I might retrace my friends footsteps and look for remnants once I know where they might be.If I do would I be going back to before a driver was updated and have to update it again?

In Epson Smart Panal I can scan and reprint photoes but it will not Scan and save.

bluto1 23:16 20 Nov 06

Hi, I do not know enough about your main problem to help, but if you go down Diemmess`s route, which is feasible, try clicking on C drive, Program Files, and looking for the program you need to delete and doing so. Apart from that all I can think of is cCleaner. Hope it works out for you.

jack 08:57 21 Nov 06

Do all as suggested plus.
Go offline.
Shutdown all A/V and firewall programs
Reinstall
Reboot
start up A/V
Fingers Crossed

iambeavis 14:01 21 Nov 06

Epson Perfection 3170 files and references which might still be lying around your PC.-:-
Program Files - Epson. (folder)

Windows/System 32/ esccmn.dll; escimgn.dll; ESDTR.dll; Esint32.dll; eswia32.dll.

Registry - HKCU - Software/EPSON
HKLM - Software/EPSON

It goes without saying that,if you decide to go into the system 32 folder or into the registry, you proceed with caution and, if you feel a sneeze coming on, take your hand off the mouse... I, once, deleted an important dll by right-clicking whilst sneezing.

User-178362 19:28 23 Nov 06

I went into Local Disk "C". I saw Esccmn.dll, escimgn.dll,ESDTR.dll,Esint32.dll,Eswia32.dll. Was I in the registry?

I saw my old Epson Scanner and deleted it, I saw the Ref G folder. I saw Epson TWAIN in Espon Photo Print\help\images. Epson Photo Print with what looks like a buss to me, with windows in which you click on to scan I also clicked on the help. Does this help?

iambeavis 19:55 23 Nov 06

The files you saw are all to do with your scanner and no, you weren't in the registry, you were in C:\Windows\System32. However, as you seem to be slightly unsure as to how to proceed, I would suggest that you call in your friend, once more, and point him/her in the direction of the files and let him/her deal with it,

When you reinstall the scanner, try using the 'Epson Scan' part of the scanning software, rather than the 'Smart Panel' - it gives you more control over the process, particularly in the 'professional mode' which isn't half as daunting as it first appears.

Scanners can be a bit temepramental, at times. I've had occassion to re-install the 'Perfection 3170' more than once and, each time I've done it, the whole event has assumed a, slightly, nightmarish quality.

User-178362 21:21 23 Nov 06

Thank you. Nice to know you have the same scanner. I hope I don't have any nightmarish probs. If I had known this I wouldn't have bought it, someone eles had trouble with the same scanner. I will leave it for a few days until I have help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5