Epson Perfection 1670 Scanner and Hubs !

piobar 22:23 16 Oct 05

I run windows XP , have an Epson Perfection 1670 and bought a Peak USB 2.0 4-portHub. When the hub is connected the scanner won't work - it is not recognised. If I disconnect the hub and plug the scanner directly into one of the two USB ports it does work although there is a message which states that the scanner is high speed and the port is low .. is that significant? Is it possible to use the Hub at all with this scanner ?

Strawballs 22:43 16 Oct 05

Does the hub have it's own power supply or is it powered by the usb if the second this might be the problem

piobar 22:53 16 Oct 05

The hub is connected only to the USB port so I assume that is the power supply. Is it then the situation that the port is 1.0 and the hub is 2.0 so never the twain shall meet? Or is there an answer? Would the mother board need to be upgraded? Would really appreciate any advice so that I cansort the thing out. Thanks

Totally-braindead 22:55 16 Oct 05
  Totally-braindead 22:59 16 Oct 05

A USB 2.0 hub connected to USB 1.0 should work but only at USB 1.0 speeds, the problem you appear to have is power. The scanner must need all the power the USB socket can supply, putting a hub on it reduces the power and consequently it won't work, solutions are, buy a USB hub that has it own power supply or my preference would be to buy a USB 2.0 card providing you have a spare PCI slot, thats the white ones in your PC. They cost about £15-20 and would give you USB 2.0 speeds.

Totally-braindead 23:02 16 Oct 05

Correction on that, got a bit of a shock. Dabs are selling one for £4.99 click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…