Epson Perfection 1650 scanner link lost

Trikie 20:22 08 Jul 06

I've been using this scanner for several years with no trouble till now.

Tonight it scanned a few pictures then showed a message "another application is using the scanner or it is not connected"

I swapped the cable from a hub to a usb socket on the motherboard and it scanned a few more but then up came the same message.

I've been to the Epson website and installed the latest Driver and now reached the limit of my knowledge. Any suggestions please?

Taff™ 20:49 08 Jul 06

Have you tried a cold reboot. i.e.switch the computer completely off and then after about 30 seconds rebooting?

Trikie 21:41 08 Jul 06

Thanks Taff,

No, but I switched the scanner off and disconnected the lead. Replacing and switching back on did the trick - at least up till now. Just hope I haven't got an intermittent problem

Taff™ 21:53 08 Jul 06

That was going to be my next suggestion - honest! I came across a similar problem with a Packard Bell scanner. The problem gradually got worse and was diagnosed as a dry joint (solder) on one of the circuit boards. It eventually packed up and wasn`t worth repairing.

If the scanner is left on the circuit boards obviously heat up and the dry joint expands and breaks a circuit. (So I`m told) Try turning the scanner off when not in use - it may prolong it`s life.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now