Epson Inkjet printers

Southernboy 22:38 21 Oct 06

Why are they such rubbish?

I bought a C44UX, which is both very noisy and very slow compared with my Laser printer. It is also very temperamental.

For example, everytime I push the print button it flashes up "communication error" and then goes on the print normally!

It will not allow more than 20/25 sheets of paper to be loaded. If I try to load more I get continual paper jams.

It also continually needs adjustments to the font alignment, something that does not happen with my laser printer.

I think the last straw was when it refused to work and I got a message to the effect that it needed some sort of internal service. Apparently, all that was necessary was for some counter to be reset which actually cost me more than the printer did!

Are all inkjets as bad? If I can find a laser small emough to fit into the space in my computer desk, I think I will junk this one.

Rant over!

DieSse 22:47 21 Oct 06

*Are all inkjets as bad?*

Absolutely not. I have had an HP940c for many years now - and never a moments trouble.

It's quiet - it prints well enough in draft mode for everday use (try that with an Epson and you'll hardly read the print!).

Ink is more expensive per cartridge - but can be more economical overall (I recommended a friend to change to HP from Epson, 'cos he was fed up with how often he needed cartridges - he far prefers the HP and reckons he spends less on ink now).

I now use compatible (refilled) cartridges which are much cheaper than HP ones.

It switches on and off without the perpetual head cleaning cycles that Epsons need.

Thge print quality now is excellent, and the same as when it was new - thanks to HP technology with a new head in every new cartridge.

And the software has always "just worked".

The heads have never caused a moments problem - there's a new one

DieSse 22:50 21 Oct 06

On the other hand the C44 was/is almost the most budget printer you can get (the C20 is cheaper still) - and probably more expensive Epsons models are better.

postie24 23:08 21 Oct 06

Try the epsom r220.a very good buy.

SLAYER 08:12 22 Oct 06

I have used the C44UX for years, never had a problem. Yes its slow and noisy, but it was cheap and does what I want it to do.

SANTOS7 10:18 22 Oct 06

got an epson 680 6years old nearly works the same now as it did new, epson rubbish!!!! I THINK NOT!!

spuds 11:58 22 Oct 06

Been running an HP OfficeJet 590 for years, never been any problems whatsoever. I also use an Epson C86 (slightly noisy perhaps), Lexmark X5150 (expensive cartridges) and a Samsung ML-4500 (hardly in use).

Perhaps I have been fortunate, but all seem to do the job intended.

Totally-braindead 14:42 22 Oct 06

I love my Epson 680, colours are as true as they were on the day I bought it.
Must admit you have a point about the noise though. My DX3800 is quieter but the printouts aren't as good.

Southernboy 18:31 24 Oct 06

Why the problem with incorrect warning messages and why will the printer not accept more that 25 sheets of paper before paper jams occur?

It may be the "most budget" printer but it should still work properly.

bluto1 19:28 24 Oct 06

I had a C44UX up to last January. The only messages I ever got referred to counter resetting.
I think either your software has a malfunction or your drivers are not up to date. I`d try an uninstall/reinstall first.
I agree about realignment costing as much as the printer.

DieSse 22:57 24 Oct 06

*For example, everytime I push the print button it flashes up "communication error" and then goes on the print normally!*

May be a driver problem - make sure you have the latest one. May be a USB cable problem - try a new good quality cable - and another USB port. May be a low memory of disk space problem - I saw this error on another type of printer once.

*It will not allow more than 20/25 sheets of paper to be loaded. If I try to load more I get continual paper jams.*

May be the paper is of low quality or in poor condition. Make sure you fan out paper well before loading - otherwise sheets have a tendancy to stick together - this can jam any printer. May be it's just worn or faulty.

*It also continually needs adjustments to the font alignment, something that does not happen with my laser printer.*

- I don't understand this - do you mean head alignment when you fit a new cartridge - all injet printers need this - cartridges that last longer need it less, of course. I never bother on my HP as it seems to not be an issue in practice on this printer.

*Apparently, all that was necessary was for some counter to be reset.

That'll probably be the waste ink counter - there is a free program on the web to reset all counters yourself.

Budget printers do not have a heavy duty cycle - this means they aren't designed to print lots - that's why they're cheap (and flimsier than office-type printers). If you have used it a lot, it'll be wearing out possibly.

My experiences with lots of Epson and HP printers is that Epson printers tended (in the past at least) to suffer more mechanical problems, and generally seemed less substantially built then HP printers. Certainly the budget models from both manufacturers were less rugged than more expensive models. As ever - you get what you pay for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…