Epson Ink Cartridges - Waste of Ink

cafe 14:43 26 Jul 05

I have just installed new ink cartridges and have had to clean the print heads of the Epson Stylus Photo 830 12 times and even now the nozzle pattern check is not perfect. The colour ink cartridge now shows that one quarter of the ink has been used. Is there a way not to waste so much - expensive - ink?

woodchip 14:44 26 Jul 05

Yes get a Laser

cafe 14:49 26 Jul 05

I am thinking of doing so woodchip and would like one of the Oki - but none of them, I don't think, offer borderless printing which I need from time to time.

Bagsey 14:50 26 Jul 05

Buy your cartridges from click here
Then they would not be so expensive.

cafe 14:53 26 Jul 05

That might be a good idea Bagsey but I don't think they deliver to France

wee eddie 15:06 26 Jul 05

and cut off the border!

wee eddie 15:07 26 Jul 05

It's only a design fad anyway.

cafe 15:11 26 Jul 05

wee eddie It is nothing to do with being a design fad - I need that option every now and then for business. Reducing the page by using a guillotine is not a an option.

EWJ 15:57 26 Jul 05

First - yes they do deliver to France as my brother in law uses them there. Contact them for delivery price though.
Second - I was advised by Epson sometime back that if I have to clean to that extent then run the cleaning cycle a few times then leave the printer ON overnight without running any test prints or anything else, next morning clean again and all should be clean. Don't know the theory but it worked for me.

€dstowe 16:53 26 Jul 05

Having to clean the print heads that much indicates something very amiss with your printer - possibly you have not use it for a long time and ink has dried in the nozzles.

I have found that a printer behaving like this never works reliably again and it may be time to think about getting another.

It may be an idea to have a rule that, if you are not using your printer regularly, you print one test page per week on any Epson printer to maintain the print heads in good condition. It will use far less ink than head cleaning and at the same time keeping the mechanical parts in good order.

EWJ 16:54 26 Jul 05

More thoughts.
I changed over to Choice-stationery ink and once I tweaked (by trial and error) the colour settings to give the same colour results as original ink then I found no difference in print quality but a big difference in running costs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac