Epson DX4200 - Help with scanning documents

tizzie 21:28 03 Mar 06

The scanning software provided by Epson puts the scanned image into Corel Photo Album 6. Ihave tried to send the image as an e-mail attachment to NZ but recipient was unable to read attachments. They were too smalland when enlarge the text broke up.
I understood that OCR software was usually used to scan documents. If this is correct can you recommend suitable sotware at reasonable cost. I have only occassional need to scan documents.
Many thanks
Tizzie

strech 10:19 04 Mar 06

i have epson as well and do use the software
with it i do double click my computer and in
there your epson comes up has a extra drive
F: for example double click and use win xp scan
and save file on desktop and send from there
hope it helps

Gongoozler 10:32 04 Mar 06

If you have "Epson Scan" software, this lets you choose where the image is to be stored. You should also be able to choose what file format is used. My Epson perfection 3490 also comes with ABBYY Finereader Sprint which is a cut down version of ABBYY Finereader and does a superb job of converting the scanned document image into editable text.

jack 10:54 04 Mar 06

Using a scanner produces an image in an image file Bmap/Tiff/Jpeg- these are 'Photographs'[like a photocopier if you will] as such the text is not editable- but suitable processing in an image editor should be able to produce a readable image - providing the recipient does not want to edit it.
It is a matter of manipulating the scanner/image editor setting to achieve the result.
Image editing software supplied with hardware is often of rudimentary 'get you started' type of thing,and more sophisticated is often required but free ones are available such as Googles'Picasa'

OCR[Optical Character Recognition] software will convert to an editable text which then can be dealt with in your word processor- This is supplied in my Epson package was it not in yours?

tizzie 11:46 04 Mar 06

Thank you for suggestions.Options available via 'My Computer'are 1.Corel Paint Shop Pro X or 2.Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard. Both programmes are primarily for scanning pictures.OCR is not included in my Epson package.
Tizzie

jack 12:23 04 Mar 06

Do a Google search for free or shareware OCR programs. or search Epson to see if they offer alternative packages. 0r contact Rpson customer service to see what they say/offer.

Gongoozler 12:40 04 Mar 06

Hi tizzie. I think your scanning software is only offering those options because they are the only programs on your computer able to handle graphics files. The probable reason the images you are emailing are very small is because you are scanning at low resolution. If you increase the resolution to 300dpi, the image will be larger and more readable, but the file size will increase as well. It's very unusual for a scanner not to come with OCR software. OCR software isn't cheap, but you can get good prices on older versions on Ebay click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…