Epson chip resetter advice please

ray27 18:42 26 Oct 04

I have seen a bit of kit that says it is an Epson chip re-setter.

Apparently you cause it to reset the chip when you refill the cartridge.

I don’t want to use it this way as I can’t be bothered with all the mess involved

How I was thinking of using it was resetting the chip after it has informed you that it was empty.

I read somewhere that the chip would state that it was empty but it was not and you should just take out the cartridge and put it back in again

I have tried this but without success.

I have noticed that I have only been using black ink but the colour ink still goes down just the same.
Has any one tried using the chip setter in this way?
Many thanks once again for any advice

Glyn-252301 19:37 26 Oct 04

I have been using resetter over a year now and I have tried what you mentioned and yes it did work for me. It would only be a stop gap whilst you order new carts and you would not be able to print hundreds of full sheets.
However there is a program that will cut down on the ink usage and you will be able to use cheaper paper as a result. Do a search on this site as it was mentioned about a week ago.
Regards G.

spuds 19:40 26 Oct 04

Don't quite understand your question.Once the cartridge is empty then it will need replacing or refilling.The chip resetting tool will then be required to reactivate the cartridge after a refill.

You may have read that the chip can be reset if the cartridge is showing empty. Sometimes there is a small amount of ink left in the cartridge, and by possibly trying to reset the chip then a few more print pages are available. This method is usually more miss that hit.

jack 20:05 26 Oct 04

As Speds says the resetter xeros the chip.
If there is not ink in cart, there is no ink in cart.
Residual ink is left so that the heads do not rundry and damage.

Try click here download the trail.
Very good worth the money

Dorsai 20:12 26 Oct 04

I had heard that the software that works out how much ink left is rather conservative in it's approach.

I recently removed a 'empty' black cart, and it sloshed rather loudly when shaken, suggesting that there was a fair amount of ink left.

Most inkjets these days have ink carts, and print heads, not combined ones.

If combined it does no harm to run the tank dry, all that you do is knacker/block the jets on the cart, and the new cart comes with new jets.

But if you have seperate jets to the cart, running the cart dry may well block the jets beyond unblocking. If this were to happen under warranty, you would take the printer back and say 'the printer said i had black ink left, but it has stopped working'.

So the system that works out how much ink left works on the safe side, and says 'empty' when in fact not quite.

This, from the printer makers view, is not a problem, it stops warranty returns, when the fault was 'no ink left' and makes us buy more ink, and we all know the real profit for printer makers comes from ink sales, not printer sales.

eddi_ed 00:14 27 Oct 04

I believe that if you have three or four cartridges, and you rotate them, ie remove cart #1 when empty, replace with cart#2; subsequently cart #3 followed by #4. Then replace the empty cart #4 with refilled cart#1 and the memory is reset without the need for resetting the chip as this is done by the printer. I have tried this with success, but I'm no expert, so don't take this as gospel.

ray27 08:54 27 Oct 04

What I was trying to get over was that I had read that chipped cartridges seemed to empty even when they were not being used sugesting that the were in fact using the date to show empty.

I have not used the colour ink but it has still gone down which seems to bear this out.

I also read that if you put the ink cartridge back in after it showed empty you could get quite a few more pages printed, I never had any luck with this method .

So I wondered if when the cartridge showed empty you could reset the chip and fool the printer into thinking a new one had been inserted and use the ink that was left

Hope this explains what I was trying to achieve
Many thanks for all your advice Ray

€dstowe 09:06 27 Oct 04

Be very careful running Epson cartidges until they are actually empty.

Doing this can generate air locks in the tubing leading to the printheads and once this happens, it can take an awful lot of ink to remove these locks and get the machine fully functional again - you will have lost any advantage you had by over running the cartrdges in the first place.

carper 10:32 27 Oct 04

I have used a resetter for twelve months and it has been very successful. I get at least 30% extra from a cartridge, even compatible cartridges. Provided you change over as soon as faint
lines appear, there doesn't seem to be a chance of drying out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…