Epson C80 - Blocked nozzles or Duff Cartridge?

Pesala 06:42 01 Apr 03

My Epson Stylus C80 stopped printing yellow completely so I thought the nozzles were blocked. No amount of head cleaning helped.

Then I swapped the magenta and yellow cartridges. Much to my surprise the yellow came out as magenta. So what is going on here? The yellow cartridge has recently been replaced and registered as almost full. It did print initially, but does not now print at all.

Any suggestions? Any similar experiences. The cartridge is a Jettec compatible from Westlakes.

€dstow 08:16 01 Apr 03

I can't help thinking this is an April 1 windup.

Anyone doing such an unwise thing as putting a magenta cartridge on a yellow printhead must be really lacking in respect for his printer.

€d

Pesala 08:28 01 Apr 03

No it is not a wind up. I do not lack respect for my printer. I think you are the one lacking respect. My test clearly shows that the nozzle is not blocked. The print-head is just a mechanical device; it is not a human being.

The worst that could happen is that one would continue to get magenta ink instead of yellow for a few prints after changing the cartridges back again.

So what is going on here? The yellow cartridge is reported as nearly full, and should be nearly full as it has only recently been changed.

€dstow 08:30 01 Apr 03

Being reported as full and actually being full are separate things. I think you should get in touch with your supplier and complain.

€d

Andsome 09:51 01 Apr 03

This appears to be YET ANOTHER problem with compatible cartridges. Genuine originals can be obtained at excellent prices from click here and click here

Pesala 12:59 01 Apr 03

You might be right Andsome, but I suspect that it because my printer is now sitting in an east-facing bay window, and we had some hot sunny weather over the last weeks. Though I keep the curtains drawn it does get quite hot in my room. The printer is also not in regular use.

I'm sure it is often true that you get what you pay for, but we cannot all afford to drive a BMW or Mercedes. Some of us have to make do with a Skoda. As for me, I have to make do with shanks pony (~_~)

Andsome 13:27 01 Apr 03

My computer equipment also sits in an east facing room. To make matters worse, the room is upstairs in a chalet type property, and can on occasions in the summer reach 32 degrees. I have NEVER had problems using genuine Epson cartridges in my old 460 or my newer Photo 830. I live on a pension, but consider the difference per print to be negligable, compared with the cost of buying a new printer. I really think that the choice is yours.

Pesala 14:14 01 Apr 03

No amount of fiddling seemed to make any difference, so I sent the duff cartrdige off to Westlakes for a replacement. I will give the Choice Stationery ones a try next time. If they also cause problems, I will take Andsome's advice and go back to using originals. However, given the relative costs of original and compatible cartridges, it is worth searching for cheaper solutions, especially if you do a lot of printing, as I sometimes do.

Have a nice day, and don't fall prey to any wind ups. I haven't come across many on this site, which is always a reliable source of intelligent and helpful support, in spite of occasional misunderstandings.

If you want to wind someone up; do a print screen while they are away from their PC, paste it into Irfan View, set it to be always on top, then remove the toolbars, menus, status line, and caption.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…