Epson C62 USB or not USB?

Jonno131 14:17 25 Jan 03

I've just bought a new Epson Stylus C62 and find in the Reference Guide: "Your computer must be a Windows Me, 98 or 2000 pre-installed model, or a Windows 98 pre-installed model that was upgraded to Windows Me. You may not be able to install or run the USB printer driver on a computer that does not meet these specifications, or that is not equipped with a built-in USB port." This is NOT mentioned on the packaging.
As I've recently done a clean reinstall of WinME using my ME Upgrade Disk and a full Windows 98 Disk for verification, it appears that I'm stuck with using it via a parallel port plus the extra outlay for a lead. I cant understand why this should be as every other USB device I use is perfectly happy with my System. Epson have suggested that there is a known problem with my USB controller (SiS7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller) and referred me to click here which lists a variety of steps which might clear USB problems and also suggested that I do a Win98 reinstal and upgrade to ME. At the moment I'm considering taking it back for a refund as not fit for purpose i.e. USB printing. Has anyone any comments or suggestions?

-pops- 14:29 25 Jan 03

You don't mention whether you have tried your printer on USB.

Note that the drivers must be installed very carefully and EXACTLY the way described in the manual for it to work.

Another thing you might like to bear in mind is that sometimes printers will only operate on USB if the parallel drivers are installed as well. I have a Samsung laser printer like that. It isn't a problem, all I have done is defined the USB laser as default and I ignore the other one.

Brian

Jonno131 14:36 25 Jan 03

Yes I tried USB first - step by step as per intructions and the printer just wasn't seen by the setup prog. Didn't know that about double installation. I'll try it. Thanks.

-pops- 14:42 25 Jan 03

Note it's only an idea - it may not work!

Brian

Pesala 18:30 25 Jan 03

I have two Epson printers, and both have USB and Parallel ports. If it is any consolation, the parallel port connection is faster than USB resulting in faster first copies.

I use the Parallel port for my EPL5900 laser printer and USB for the Stylus C80, where speed is limited more by the printer than by the data connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…