Epson 580 printer - unknown error message

DIDO 10:43 13 Mar 03

After changing cartridges on my 580 i get the unknown error message please contact your dealer or service agent. this is a replacement printer from Epson 15 months old after the same thing happened to the original after 1 year. Epson refuse to do anything and recommended a service agent who wishes to charge £70 - more than a new printer. Ive tried all the usual uninstalling etc.
Is there anything that I can try - Ive about 10 new cartridges in stock.

MAJ 12:34 13 Mar 03

The only thing I can think of, DIDO, is to clean the contacts, between the printer and cartridge, with a cotton bud DAMPENED with some spirits. I did have a similar problem one time with a HP printer and that cured it. Or try a different, new, cartridge.

Phased 09:30 16 Mar 03

There is a plastic tray that collects ink from the cleaning process, when this becomes full it switches the printer off. You can't reset the printer even if you clean the tray and foam without a small DOS service program. Not very Green for Epson as it often means a printer with life in it ends up in landfill.

DIDO 12:59 16 Mar 03

thanks for the possible explanation - is there any way of "acquiring" the DOS service programme??

Phased 15:17 16 Mar 03

Check email please.

DIDO 16:52 17 Mar 03

Thanks to PHASED and the Service Pack I am now up and running. But no thanks to Epson who have given no support and showed no interest

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…