Epson 2580 Photo - scanning other than 35mm negs

PA28 17:15 12 Oct 05

I have an Epson 2580 photo scanner which is absolutely brilliant. However I can't get it to recognise different size negatives or slides other than 35mm (placing them on the glass in the right place - obviously not using the built in feeder). I have tried to fool it into recognising 120 rollfilm negs and 127 negs but it won't play ball - not even recognising a part of the neg so I could join it up after scanning. It just tells me it can't detect anything in on the scanner glass. The best I've been able to do is lay a 35mm slide holder over part of the neg to convince the thing that it's scanning a bit of 35mm film, but this can be a pain!!!! Anyone been able to crack this please (I emailed Epson and it all went quiet).

PA28 22:22 12 Oct 05

Anyone?

PA28 09:22 14 Oct 05

Oh dear - what is it about this question. Every time I ask it the world appears to end!

sheila.weston 09:43 14 Oct 05

Sorry, I haven't got the answer, but have had lots of trouble with my Epsom 3200.

Currently it won't scan 35mm negatives, except as complete strips. I have sorted that out by cutting them up into separate negatives and spreading them out along the negative holder.

Are you trying to scan strips or individual negatives? Presumably you have tried putting them in the supplied holder (if it has one)?

There are some excellent Epsom forums out there -try doing a google search. But I don't recommend doing a reinstallation (which Epsom might recommend) unless you have one of those registry cleaners/checkers. The way Epsom suggests doesn't always work.

Sheila

Stuartli 09:44 14 Oct 05

I think you may be getting confused with regard to the automatic film loader.

The Epson is listed as handling 35mm film and for larger roll volumes the automatic film loader is utilised.

Larger film sizes should be scanned using the flatbed section.

The flatbed scanner can apparently scan photographic film up to an optical resolution of 2400x4800 dpi.

sheila.weston 09:47 14 Oct 05

PS - I may have the wrong word - not registry cleaner, but a program which checks that the registry has been completely cleared of Epsom files when you uninstall the scanner.

Stuartli 09:48 14 Oct 05

This is the 35mm film holder specification:

Transparency Unit

35mm Auto Film Loader for filmstrips from 2 to 6 frames; 35mm mounted slide, 1 frame

Normally 35mm film is returned after processing in strips of six negatives.

Fellsider 09:53 14 Oct 05

I have tried to find more details about this scanner online but info seems to be rather lacking.

As it is an A4 scanner have you tried setting it to scan at A4 size and put the negative on the glass (does it have a light lid?). This should scan the neg as a neg (not surprisingly). Crop and save it and you should then be able to convert it to a positive ( by converting it to a negative) in your photo software (still with me?).

Good luck

Stuartli 10:02 14 Oct 05

Information is easy to find:

click here

Re negative scanning it's made clear that the larger sizes are scanned on the flatbed section.

The negative images returned are no different to scanning 35mm film...:-)

Stuartli 10:05 14 Oct 05

This review of the scanner:

click here

reveals that the model is noted for a film loader problem:

"...the automatic scan for strips of film performed poorly with black-and-white negatives.."

Another review:

click here

PA28 18:27 15 Oct 05

Thanks all. I have no problem with 35mm slides and negs - it does a superb job although mounted slides are slow as only one can be fitted in the holder at once. Nevertheless it does the job.

It's other than 35mm that causes the problem. Obviously you can't use the built in feeder, so the only option is to lay the neg on the glass. There is no holder for bigger film sizes and if you simply lay the neg on the glass surface (under the backlight of the lid)it refuses to recognise that the neg is there (I don't know how it detects this, but it does). The only way that I've been able to fool it some of the time is to lay the neg where a 35mm transparency would lie and actually place an empty transparency holder over it so it thinks it's actually scanning an 35mm size film. Needless to say this involves a lot of cutting and stitching to produce the whole neg - there really has to be a better way. You can't scan the whole A4 size of the glass as suggested as the only options for doing this are with reflective materials - which a negative obviously isn't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…