Epsom problem ( ? )

Housten 11:51 AM 24 Jun 12

Good morning all,

I have an ‘Epsom Stylus C70+’ – which I must admit is a few years old now – and with which I am having a, or perhaps some, problem(s). My computer is about 6 years old, dual core, started out using ‘XP’, was upgraded to ‘Vista’, and I now use ‘Windows 7 Home Premium’. I did not use the printer for a few months, and then started printing with it again a few months ago. A few weeks ago, I think, I started getting a dialogue box appear, so I clicked on ‘close’ and it disappeared, to then re-appear instantly, so I click on ‘close’, and then the printing goes ahead, or at least I thought it did, normally. Now I am not so sure, and I hope someone can tell me if the printer should – or not – be thrown out.

What has happened is that I was sent a 16 page ‘.pdf’ document, which I needed to print out. I got the document displayed on my screen, clicked on ’print’ and then I clicked on ‘properties’, I clicked on ‘text’ and ‘check ink levels’, and then ‘OK’. At this point the dialogue box appears with the statement “Function address Oxef871a45 caused a protection fault ( exception code Oxc0000005 ). Some or all property page(s) may not be displayed”. At this point I click on ‘close’ and it – as I said - disappears, to then instantly re-appear. I, again, click on ‘close’, and it disappears again and I can then print what I want, except that I can’t. Of the 16 pages in the document, the first 7 were printed out, but not the others! I have tried printing the balance of the pages, several times, but all I get is the first couple of lines of a couple of pages and then nothing else, although the printer sounds like it is re-booting itself several times.

Last weekend I tried the Epsom site to see if the driver should be updated, but it says everything is fine!! But I know it is not, and I hope someone can tell what is wrong with it as it is really beginning to annoy me. Although I say the printer is at fault, I am not actually 100% sure of this, as the ‘protection codes’ are what I think could be Microsoft codes so they could, at a push, be Window codes. But basically I haven’t a clue as to what is going on or what has gone wrong, and would be grateful for any and all help.

Any and all comments/help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Ian in Northampton 11:54 AM 24 Jun 12

The first thing to try to eliminate is whether it's the printer or something about the document, which may be corrupt. Can you print anything else - e.g. a Word document?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:01 PM 24 Jun 12

exception code Oxc0000005 is the application failed to initialise properly.

Uninstall and reinstall all the Epson printer software and drivers.

Housten 15:01 PM 24 Jun 12

Ian in Northampton,

Ok, I confess I have not ted a document as long as the one I tried to print, for some time, but I thought it was printing OK. No, it is not, only parts of documents are being printed, so I am going to follow what has been suggested by Fruit Bat /\0/\, although I do have one problem! Find the CD with the progamme/drivers on it!!! At least I know I have it, somewhere!!

I will let you know what happens!! Many thanks for to both of you for your help.

Nontek 15:03 PM 24 Jun 12

Get up-to-date Drivers from Epson website.

Housten 10:58 AM 25 Jun 12

Gentlemen, Good morning,

First of all apologies for taking so long to respond, but I had a great deal of trouble with following your suggestions!!

First of all I tried to delete the programme for the printer, but couldn't find it!! So I then deleted the printer from the 'devices and printers' in 'Control Panel'. Then I went on to Epsom site to get new driver, but they do not have a driver for my printer for Windows 7!!! Their suggestion? Use 'Add printer' in 'Control Panel', which I did, only to find I then had two printers, so I deleted first one - again.

At this point I switched off and re-booted computer, switched off printer, waited until computer had re-booted completely, switched on printer and then tried printing pages 8 to 16 of document. Got usual dialogue box - twice as usual - but then printing went through OK!!! What is the printer doing? I do not have a clue, but as it is - or at least it appears to be - 'working' normally, I will continue working with it for a little while longer. Also because I bought 5 black and 3 of each colour ink cartridges recently, and don't want to have to throw them out!!!!

Many thanks for all your help.

Toneman 14:58 PM 26 Jun 12

A quick look seems to show the cartridges for your c70 may be the same as the T1285 set I use in my recently purchased stylus SX130, may be worth checking whether a new printer would be possible...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know