Epsom Printer causing Computer freeze.

VINCENTINPRESTON 19:56 06 Nov 03

Hi folks
My system:Pentium 3 running at 800mz,Gigabyte motherboard,256 sdram,20G Hard drive.
Printer Epsonstylus C62.Installed software AVG antivirus, Zone alarm firewall.
Problem: If I first switch on the printer then start up the computer, there is not a problem however if I reverse the order of above i.e switch printer on when p.c. is already powered up, then everything freezes, keyboard commands and mouse cease to function. Only remedy apart from obvious is to reboot using restart.
Any suggestions welcome .vin in preston,lancashire u.k.

SantasLittleHelper 20:23 06 Nov 03

Hi, sounds like you have a printer driver problem, you don't say which operating system, but I suggest you visit Epson web site and download latest drivers. Although I suggest that you leave your printer on all the time. It is not necessary to switch it off, and is very wasteful of ink as it will go through a cleaning cycle every time you switch it on.

JIM 20:34 06 Nov 03

As it has both parallel and USB ports, better if you let us know what one you use as it may help.

VINCENTINPRESTON 21:10 06 Nov 03

Sorry , widows xp installed.I
use USB port for connection.I have tried removing driver which came with printer and installing dirct from Epson but the problem is the same. Thanks for the tip on not switching printer off .

JIM 21:52 06 Nov 03

take it you loaded drivers/software according to the manual.

any sign of trouble in the device manager after you boot up doing as you say(If I first switch on the printer then start up)when there is no problem

also,if you take a look in the event manager.

Right click my computer,select click manage,click on plus in event viewer,select application look for the red error X's,double click and see what error report is stated with regards printer.May give some reason.

VINCENTINPRESTON 22:05 06 Nov 03

hi, I,ve just removed driver again and put on a serial cable everytthing now works A. ok. Obviously the problem is somewhere on the usb connection side or some conflict, could be I suppose a u/s usb cable. I,ll leave this thread open to see if there are any more ideas.Thanks to all,

JIM 22:25 06 Nov 03

Will still look out for your reply to other post,but the following may help if this will change your situation etc.

The download off the Epson UK,is the following which you used.

EPSON Stylus C 62 Driver Description Version Size (MB) Download
Printer Driver Windows XP 5.4c 4,86 when asked to download or save is shows as file for Win 2000.

If you go to the USA site,

click here

click here

you have the choice, one off is the,

Printer Driver v5.4cA
Windows XP epson10543.exe - 4.2MB - posted on 11/12/02
This self-extracting file contains the Epson Stylus C62 Printer Driver v5.4cA with built-in Status Monitor for Windows XP.

Ignore the asking of e-mail adress if you want and click on submit if you decide to download.

JIM 22:26 06 Nov 03

Sorry was to busy checking for you,never mind.

Glad your sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…